Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newest in the collection; CLLE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest in the collection; CLLE
    Posted: September 05 2017 at 3:14pm
I ended up getting this rifle in exchange for some labor and also repro parts, im pretty excited to add it to the collection. since the size of it has shrunk in the last few months (funding a F-class rifle build) while i only sold no1's and no4's it does feel good to add to the collection and this rifle has a definite spot in the safe.

this is a numbers matching CLLE made by BSA its a commercial rifle, make on contract for South Africa back when they were calling them self's the UDF, i have yet to take the wood off to check the date but i will do that one of these days.

the only parts that it is missing is the front sight protector, and also the rear sling swivel .

this came from factory without volley sights, im not sure what was in those two holes in the wrist band when it came from factory but at some time in its life it has a target sight installed on it, i hope to figure out what sight was installed on it and buy another one to replace it so the rifle doesn't have the cut out for it in the wood for nothing.

the rear sight is also interesting, i have never seen one like it. also the mag is different from the MLE/MLM mags i have, it has this odd clip and its stamped "2"

these commercial rifles are always hard to figure out, they were made to near any spec one could dream up so even being a CLLE it can have great difference from the Military spec rifles, this one has a butt stock and butt plate that looks like No1mk3, but doesn't have the little safety cutout like the No1 butt stocks does at the wrist band.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 3:36pm
I haven't seen one either, but I did read about it. I think its rifleman co UK under Iron sights.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 6:59pm
i like it , it and the carbine are the ones that have escaped me so far - kick myself over the carbine , was offered one and did not have the funds , one day maybe , but congrats to you , i think you did well , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 7:41pm
SUPER! You did very well!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 4:17am
Aw Nertz!! Its always the OTHER guy!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 4:25am
Nice rifle.
As a commercial rifle; is it possible that the front sight protector was never fitted? Just a thought! (not based on any knowledge of this model)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 5:22am
Shamu thanks ill havw to check that out. Ive read that it was used on different CLLE's depending on the contract conditions.

A square10, yeah im super excited to have it, i also have a LE1 and a LEC to go with it, my goal for my collection is one of all the different models made from mk1 to no1mk3*, not counting the trainers, they are just to hard tto find.

Canuck and Hoadie, thanks guys it should fit well with my other rifles.

Zed, i know what you mean, but in this case it did come with it, i have seen a few more from this same contract and they have it. Also the front sight has a hole in it for the sight protector screw, and all my other mle/mlm's dont have the hole.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 6:57am
My mistake, its here:
https://www.slideshare.net/tcattermole/hbsa-lecture-on-enfield-sights

let the slide show run it eventually shows up.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
green View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 8:40am
Thr rear sight is standard for CLLE MkI*, is it graduated for 1800 yd or 2000
The mag is "case magazine Number 2" the second pattern of mag made for use with chargers, deeper in front than NoI mag case.
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 8:58am
Thanks green, i have read it was "standard rear sight for a Volunteer Pattern Charger Loading Long Lee Enfield (CLLE)" so i assumed it wasnt standard issue rear sight. But a little more looking and your post has me believing it is and would be found on most clle's.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 11:25pm
That is such a nice rifle, evanguy! To add more on the magazine.... This style was still used on the Mk I SMLE. The magazine for my 1906 Mk I*** is the same style and originaly stamped 2 on the case. When the Mk VII ammunition came about the internals were changed, feed lips rebent and the case marked 3 to indicate the change. So, these magazines are not uncommon and were reused as necessary. Why throw anything away when it can be made to work?
evanguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 7:09am
Thanks for that info Bear43, i had never seen a mag like this one. I hope to get a range report soon for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic