Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally scored a No4!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally scored a No4!
    Posted: September 12 2017 at 7:52pm
United Kingdom, 1948, numbers matching with bayonet.

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE
1942 NO4. MK1 four digit BSA

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 6:56pm
welcome BMP - where in iowa ? im from cedar falls once a lifetime ago , 

looks like a nice no4 should be marked on the left receiver/wrist with ID that would help us identify its mfgr , or the serial number will help as well , it has nicely matching furniture , '48 would put it in FAZ [UK production] , Longbranch [north american production] , and of coarse pakistan with little records and ive never seen one of these here , 

congrats on a really nice looking rifle , 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

welcome BMP - where in iowa ? im from cedar falls once a lifetime ago , 

looks like a nice no4 should be marked on the left receiver/wrist with ID that would help us identify its mfgr , or the serial number will help as well , it has nicely matching furniture , '48 would put it in FAZ [UK production] , Longbranch [north american production] , and of coarse pakistan with little records and ive never seen one of these here , 

congrats on a really nice looking rifle , 

Thanks A square 10! I live near Pella. We have been to CF quite a few times. Big city life!

I couldn't find very many markings on it. Pics of what I found though.

Sorry for the one fuzzy pic! Thanks for all your help!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 3:58am
Looks like a very clean rifle.  Well done!
Just one thing to check; looking at the third photo of the front sight area. Could be the angle of the photo, but it looks as if the top hand guard is slightly forward. Make sure the metal end is not in contact with the front sight block. If it's touching, it will affect the accuracy.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 7:40am
I moved it last night. I noticed that the rear top hand guard was a little loose. Pulling the front one back made a big difference.

Thanks for noticing!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 6:44pm
that is an interesting rifle - it has been thru FAZ FTR , i think in this instance we are not sure when as its not noted on the reciever , , the PF prefix was used in the 48 era so it looks good as a mkI , the conversion to mk2 was around PF8xxxx , so it was not made a mk2 , i do not think it is a conversion to mk2 - you can determine that by pulling the forearm - the mkI  trigger is mounted to the trigger guard , the mk2 is mounted to the action body , it is not marked as a conversion at FTR so i think it is still a mkI ... worth a look tho , 

the stock has been changed as it is not matching receiver number but , that is not uncommon in FTR , the bolt handle number , receiver number , magazine number , and possibly back of ladder sight should match , but may not as FTR changes things to bring them back to issue condition , the FTR is clearly marked so we need to assume something could have changed , 

it is a very nice example , you did well , 

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 7:28pm
i know a little of pella , there once was a famous shotgun writer that lived there - michael macintosh , i know his widow and step children , i have a lot of his ammo in my stash , 

i also had a friend from ottumwa that worked for the window company , we went to school together for architecture at iowa state [ go cyclones ] that was a lifetime ago tho , another classmate of the era brought me here in 82 to build a shopping mall so im now a minnesotan , 

i went to ISU after two years + at university of northern iowa , and NO im not so old that it was ISTC back then but i remember when it was the teachers college when i was a kid , ive not been back in the state for a few years but still have a brother in allison and sister in waverly , 

nice to see another iowan interested in enfields and webleys , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 4:17am
You don't need to pull it apart to see it's a No4 Mk 1 or Mk2. The fore end wood is different where it meets the wrist. There is no riveted metal piece; just wood with a screw going through to a small nut on the other side.
I have a No4Mk1/2 which is basically the Mk1 modified with the hung trigger to Mk2 spec; these rifles had replacement wood due to the different arrangement on the fore end .
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 7:42am
Zed,

By the stock, it is a No 4 Mk 1.   Non screw through the rear of the fore-end.
Also the markings say No 4 Mk 1.
Nice clean rifle I'd say!

Edited to say I read your post wrong!  Very sorry.

R.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 12:16pm
No problem PB; I was replying from work so did not have a photo at hand; which would have been easier!

So for clarity:
Here is a photo of my No4Mk1/2,which has the screw through the rear of the fore end. As would a No4mk2.

maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 4:12am
[QUOTE=A square 10]that is an interesting rifle - it has been thru FAZ FTR [QUOTE]

Could I ask why do you believe it is an FTR and not new made?

It isn't marked as an FTR - and the PF serial tends to indicate late production?

I think that the stock number does in fact match the serial - both look like PF 42229 to me.

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 5:07am
Originally posted by maxwell smart maxwell smart wrote:

I think that the stock number does in fact match the serial - both look like PF 42229 to me.

Yes, it does match.

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 8:39am
More pics. Thanks for all the input guys!

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 10:14am
I got this corrosive ammo as well on a Vickers belt.

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 2:35pm
"8Z"is the legendary bore-destroying "For machine guns only" ammo.
Evil Smile
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 3:22pm
I'd keep those rounds just as a curiosity rather than shooting them, obviously and as Shamu iterated. Or....pull the bullets out and reload the brass? I don't know much at all about MG .303 ammo to be honest.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic