Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally scored a No4!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"8Z"is the legendary bore-destroying "For machine guns only" ammo.
Evil Smile

I saw this in my searches. Evil ammo! Angry  LOL

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE
1942 NO4. MK1 four digit BSA

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

I'd keep those rounds just as a curiosity rather than shooting them........

I'm not going to shoot them. It's kind of cool to just have them around on the bench.

I have had excellent luck with PPU 180gr ammo in my No1 Mk3. Hopefully it shoots good in the No4!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 7:50pm
did i cross threads in my responses ? i could swear i saw other photos here before , i apoligize if i misstook one for another , no intent to mislead , there was a receiver markint with FTR , 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 2:54am
No, no problem at all. What does FTR stand for? I am very new to this!

Thanks!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 3:47am
FTR stands for "Factory through repair". This would generally be a major repair or overhaul and sometimes upgrade as per the No4Mk1/2; which had the trigger mod etc.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 6:01am
Is that "Through" or "Thorough"? I've heard both terms used.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:35am
I always thought it meant "through" as in passed through (or returned)the factory. 
However I it appears I was wrong! 
Just checked my Skennerton book and can confirm it is in fact "Factory Thorough Repair"

So I owe you a pint Shamu!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 1:16pm
No problem I've done the same thing myself.
Beer
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 1:57pm
I'm like a sponge here! Taking in all the info! Thanks gents! I owe you all a pint! Beer

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 4:29pm
i have not figured out how or where i crossed up yet , i looked back - this thread shows a nice matching PF series FAZ , looks to have been imported by one of the familiar importers that were real proud of their stamps tho , if i figure out what i crossed with i may have to correct myslf there too , i sometimes have multiple posts on multiple sites up at once 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i have not figured out how or where i crossed up yet

No problem at all! The last digit "9" on the fore end in the first pic I posted looks a little funny. Might have mistaken it for the numbers not matching.

I had two different site forums open and posted a reply in the wrong forum one time. The others in the thread were thinking, "What is BMP talking about?" LOL LOL

........this thread shows a nice matching PF series FAZ , looks to have been imported by one of the familiar importers that were real proud of their stamps tho......

Can you tell the importer? I remember a company called Paragon who ran ads in the magazine Shotgun News. Were they an importer or just a retailer?

Thanks again A square 10!

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 7:55pm
yes , IIRC IAC is internationa arms corp out of alexandria VA , they were well known for years in this community as one that way too proudly marked the rifles but they were also a very important player in bringing in what we wanted for our collections , 

i would never shy from one of theirs as they did not , to my knowledge . mess with them , they provided the service we needed to get them here and buy them , i think i have one of theirs in my accumulation here somewhere , just cannot recall which at the moment , it is not a bad thing , simply a mark that is recognizable in this world , 

you have a fine rifle , enjoy it , 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 2:52pm
This target was shot at 50 yards. My eyes are terrible and putting it out at 100 would not reflect the accuracy of the rifle, but show how bad of a shot I am! Luckily OnTarget does the math for me to figure out what the target "should" look like, in MOA, at 100. I only had 5 rounds of PPU 180gr BTSP's to work with. First shot went way high. I left the micro rear sight at 350yds! OOPS! Only had 4 shots left for a group. Lowered the rear sight to the 200yd setting. I was expecting the bullets to hit about 2" high and centered on the target at 50yds. Vertical offset from a center point of aim averaged .282" up and was to the right 1.102".  Group width was .897 MOA and group height was 2.344 MOA. I assume the vertical stringing was me??? I am happy with the results of my baseline shots.

On a side note, after having the gun out in the hot sun, the stocks fore end has shifted. The barrel is now SLIGHTLY closer to the left side of the nose of the stock and it is now BARELY touching the bottom of the stock. Ahhhh wood! LOL I totally love shooting and tinkering with this gun!

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 4:21pm
Here is the entire target with the first round flyer! LOL

Brad

1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 6:30pm
you got a keeper there , i would be happy with those results at my age 
BMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 5:55am

you got a keeper there , i would be happy with those results at my age 

I'm going to hold off doing anything to it. I would hate to dial out the accuracy. When I get more ammunition next week I will get some better tests done.

Brad
1917 NO1. MKIII ShtLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic