Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L on a headbolt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L on a headbolt?
    Posted: September 16 2017 at 10:35am
Hi again.
I have a question. The headbolt on my rifle has a L stamped in it. No 0,1,2,or 3, just a L. Anyone have an answer as to why?
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 11:13pm
Looks like a "1" to me; although if your rifle is a 7.62 ("Envoy") then the bolthead might not be marked normally

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 2:15am

It's definitely a L. I put a micrometer on it and it sits between a 0 and 1 bolt head.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 4:16am
It's a 1, but may have been stamped a bit on the edge of the bolt head. The L39 A1 (also 7,62) has standard numbered bolt heads, so I'm certain the Envoy would be the same.

Regarding measuring it with a micrometer; all I can say is there is a certain amount of variation recorded in the measurements of these bolt heads. There can be some overlap between sizes and what's stamped on the head.
The important thing though is not so much the bolt number; but the actual headspace. (Especially on the .303 versions)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 9:06am

I understand that completely. I myself never focused on the numbers,and always go to a micrometer to check. When I saw this L it through me for a small loop. Figured I have something unique...
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 2:06am
My Envoy (No. 334) is stamped with a '2' in exactly the same place so it seems that the Envoy is stamped in the usual was.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 3:47am
Are we sure that this is an Envoy manufactured by Enfield?  The markings are very different to mine and other Envoys. The furniture is is not the same and it has a .303 magazine. Although I don't think it is particularly relevant, I can also mention that the bolt head on mine is unnumbered.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 3:53am
I know a lot of the L39 A1's were built with the .303 magazine;  for the purpose of a loading platorm for the 7.62 round.  I thought the Envoy had the 10 round 7.62 mag as standard; but I could be wrong.  Maybe it's been swapped or lost at some time.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 7:24am
Definatley different to mine.
Left hand side of my receiver reads, in 2 lines..    ENVOY 7.62 m/m
                                                                        D69  E334
Bolt head stamped with a '2'
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 7:37am
Further to the above.
That barrel isn't an Envoy barrel. It is too light (thin) the crown is wrong and the front sight mount is wrong.
The stock is completely wrong. There isn't a barrel band or a  hand guard.

To be fair, Goosic didn't claim that it was an Envoy. The rest of us jumped to conclusions from the stamp on the receiver.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 8:07am
An Envoy and its markings.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 8:14am
I have what can only be described as,two, Envoy clones. The one in the photos did not have any furniture so I purchased a stock set from Boyd's. The laser engraving on the side says ENVOY 7.90mm L39A1 UE 68 A1568. It's also in the bolt handle and on the magazine. It's when I was inspecting everything that I found that L stamped on the bolt head. The other clone looks like an actual Envoy. It has a different butt stock though...

I own seven Enfield rifles,all in the standard .303 caliber. Four of them are copies of existing rifles. The L stamped into the headbolt on the one rifle still has me vexed though...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 11:56am
If I'm not mistaken. The photo that shows the left side of the receiver on your clone; also seems to read 7.62
 That doesn't seem to be a good idea if the rifle is still in .303 British! could mislead the next owner.

Why bother engraving Envoy on a rifle that's not an Envoy; personally I don't get it. A bit like sticking a Ferrari badge on a Fiat.
It's just a nice sporter in it's current condition. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:41pm
When I bought them,they were already engraved with the ENVOY on them. The barrels we're cut down past the lugs as well. They both say 7.90mm. Indictive of the .303. I added the Parker Hale sights,bipod and butt stock on the one rifle. The second one received all new wood from Boyd's and P-H sights too. I've never claimed these are real. All I did was clean them up,checked head spacing,and made functional target rifles.
Still question the L stamped into the headbolt. What does it represent.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 1:09pm
OK; in the photo the number's are a bit small; I thought it was 7.62; my mistake. 

I am still certain that the bolt head is just a badly struck 1. I'm sure I have one with a 1 stamp that has a broad base; unlike your second bolt head. Unfortunately I won't have access to it until next weekend to check. I believe what you are seeing as an L is the 1 withe the lower left base and upper left missing due to being badly struck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic