Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

here is a twist on the civil war statues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: here is a twist on the civil war statues
    Posted: September 18 2017 at 4:53pm
Canada has unveiled its first monument to the US Civil War, honouring the 40,000 Canadians who fought during America's bloodiest conflict.

The monument in Cornwall, Ontario, was championed by a Civil War re-enactment group who raised almost almost C$44,000 ($36,000, £27,000) to build it.

About 7,000 Canadians died in the war, which claimed almost 620,000 US lives.

Although Canada was part of Britain until 1867 and officially neutral, Canadians fought on both sides.

The pressures of the 1861-65 Civil War, and the threat of an American invasion, helped urge Canada to its own confederation and independence.

"No one can fully understand Canada without appreciating that the war was an essential factor in the country's birth," wrote historian John Boyko in his 2013 bookBlood and Daring. "We owe it to ourselves to understand the Civil War - to heed its whispering ghosts."

The US Civil War was fought when 11 Southern states revolted against the US government and formed their own Confederate States of America.

While some maintain the war was fought for "state's rights", most historians agree it was over slavery, which the South sought to preserve.

Although Confederate monuments in the US have been the subject of heated debate, supporters of the Ontario monument, which commemorates those who fought on both sides, say they are only interested in history.

The monument was the pet project of a Montreal Civil War re-enactment society called the Grays and Blues.

When the war broke out in 1861, Canada was still a subject of Great Britain and had maintained an uneasy peace with its American neighbours since the War of 1812, when Canadian and British troops marched on Washington DC and burned down the White House

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 4:42am
I read the article when it came out. The guys behind this kinda got their numbers wrong, & left out some critical facts.

While most of the "British Subjects" that served in the UN - civil war came from Upper Canada..it was because of the "Bounty" that was available.
If you didn't want your son to go to war - you could hire a replacement for him. This was usually a very tidy sum. That's why most of these guys served in the Northern forces.

They claimed that up to 40,000 served.While actual numbers aren't available - methinks that's an awful high "guess".

BTW: The last confederate casualty buried @ Arlington wasn't an American - he was from the Canadas. He was killed serving in a Louisianna Reg't.(Probobly had French Canadian or Acadian roots)
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 8:11pm
ah , of my southern persuasion ? it matters not to me anymore save for the fact that 'someone' still recognizes we americans served on both sides - even the northern americans , lost lives and deserve respect for standing , this who;le media hyped uproar is disrespecting those that died , those that served ,those that sacrificed and the FACT that they deserve respect that none of these present day heathens have earned and probably never will in their pathetic misserable lives , 

i have most likely said enough but it goes without saying that those that tread on my history see no favor in my eyes nor shall that receive any quarter should they cross my path , these commies can tear up the cities where they live all they want - do not come to the country where i live , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic