Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk3 trigger upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangergord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No1 Mk3 trigger upgrade?
    Posted: September 21 2017 at 2:26pm
I'm looking to improve the trigger on my No1 Mk3 rifle. I'm particularly interested in the Huber Concepts replacement trigger. Does anyone have any experience with this trigger? I know polishing the contact surfaces on the existing trigger might help. It's already fairly smooth but very heavy so I doubt polishing will improve it much. 

Thanks for your help.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 4:29pm
I have two Huber triggers. I myself would recommend using the original trigger. Polish all the contact points on the trigger,sear,and the cocking piece were it contacts the sear. Huber triggers will give you a single stage pull as opposed to the two stage pull of the originals and that's about it. If you spend alot of time working the Huber trigger you can get a 3 1/2 - 4 lb trigger pull,if your lucky. As stated earlier, I would stick with the original...
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 7:22am
The Huber trigger will not give you a significantly lighter trigger pull; other parts of the bolt have to be modified to achieve this, and the original trigger will serve just as well.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I have two Huber triggers. I myself would recommend using the original trigger. Polish all the contact points on the trigger,sear,and the cocking piece were it contacts the sear. Huber triggers will give you a single stage pull as opposed to the two stage pull of the originals and that's about it. earlier, I would stick with the original...

The great joy of the Lee Enfield is the 2 stage trigger pull.  Big smile
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 8:14am
My usual trickery does not involve replacing anything. Just a bit of ScotchBrite, 15 minutes of elbow grease & a dollop of grease.

Buff the sear's upper surface of the upper leg ONLY going UP or DOWN no side to side. Now polish the "bumps" on the trigger the same way. Don't over do it, just a dozen firm strokes are enough.

Now polish the front face of the cocking piece, ONLY going UP or DOWN, being careful to not change the angle.

A small schmear of good grease (I use moly grease as its embedding & will eventually become part of the metal) on the sear/trigger  contact area & again on the front face of the cocking piece.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
rangergord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangergord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 10:05am
http://www.enfield-rifles.com/aftermarket-triggers_topic4265.html Ah, I found this page after I posted this. I'll work on my factory trigger. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 12:20pm
The original two stage pull off can be made lighter; but you need to be very careful not to over do it! As it's safety related!
The angle of the cocking piece face and surface finish to sear determines the weight of the trigger.

IMPORTANT SAFETY ITEM! When the trigger is pulled to 1st stage, the cocking piece start's to move rearwards. If you release the trigger so as not to take a shot; it is essential that the cocking piece returns to it's forward position! If it does not, it could discharge easily due to the sear being on the very edge at the second stage! That could be very dangerous!
Remember you are responsible for your rifle. Ensure any modification is 100% safe!

The standard rifle has an angle of 4° (off the 90°) on the cocking piece. On my No1 I have an angle of 6° which has made an trigger weight around 4 1/2 lbs, instead of around 6 lbs at the original 4°. The cocking piece returns properly when releasing from 1st stage.

I used a homemade rig for polishing the face and keep it square across the sear and set the angle. I did not take off much material; leaving a band of the original 4° surface above sear contact area as a witness. You do not want to remove too much. I would suggest using a spare cocking piece and keep the original in case you go too far.

I used an oiled Arkansas jewelers stone for the purpose. It gives a very polished surface.
A screw in the wood underneath the lower part of cocking piece allows adjustment of the angle by screwing it in or out.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 2:42pm
There is an easy way of making the trigger of an Enfield seem as light as a feather and as crisp as breaking a bread stick.... Buy a Remington military Rolling Block. I have. I collect and shoot them and after shooting them my Enfields seem like target rifles.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
rangergord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangergord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 2:15pm
I did a little grinding and polishing on the cocking piece. Already an improvement. I've abandoned the thought of buying a Huber trigger. The factory trigger will work well for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic