Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting In Los Vegas-50+ Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:45am
Last wednesday I had my annual visit to the Doctor's to get my new firearms licence signed. We have to renew our club card and licence each year; and it must be signed by your physician to confirm you are in a sound state of health. Personally I have no problem with that type of legislation. It's good to know that anyone with mental health issues should not be able to get a licence.

Would that really be a problem to adopt in the USA? Being a member of a club affiliated to the national shooting federation (or equivalent hunting licence) is a requirement for gun ownership here.
There are further hoops to jump through if you want semi auto's etc. But the the system is workable for those that have nothing to hide.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 2:14pm
The social structure is very different here.
There's the right to keep & bear arms for starters. Now add a big dollop of privacy issues with anything related to health care.
There's also a track record of bad faith dealings with the gun control crowd, which didn't exist in the U.K. when I still lived there.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 5:36am
..Plus - a visit to a doctor Stateside usually involves a chunk of coin, that an individual may find burdensome.

Most States are struggling to adopt a health - care plan as it is. Then the doctors are going to want extra coin for doing the assessment. Then, what if your doctor isn't "firearm friendly"?

Could open up a whole new can of worms.
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 6:38am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

..Plus - a visit to a doctor Stateside usually involves a chunk of coin, that an individual may find burdensome.

Most States are struggling to adopt a health - care plan as it is. Then the doctors are going to want extra coin for doing the assessment. Then, what if your doctor isn't "firearm friendly"?

Hoadie hit the nail on the head , Firearm Friendly doctor !!  We dont need our rights to own a firearm to hing off of a strangers personal likes and dislikes !!!!  Think about having to have that nosy opinionated neighbor tell you what color to paint your house ???  Oh Wait !!! Some people already have that happening to them!!!  its called a Home owners Association !!!  and you have to put any work or improvements up to a vote from your neighbors to do anything to YOUR home !!!
Now take that logic and apply it to a right !!!  and some one else is making a call on your behalf !!!
And then take into account how some one could drop a" CHUNK OF COIN"  extra and get the Doc to sign off as OK when you are Mental ?????  So now your back to square one !!!!
Its a fine line for privacy when you start letting some one go through your medical records, If they say it will only be some one who is working for the FBI doing back ground checks, then whats to say an insurance company does not get access to them and pre rate your health insurance ??? or deny it ???

All this is for is to get a list of who has what so the Left can find a loop hole to take them all away and force their way upon every one !!  they are already brain washing our kids on what they want them to believe !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
buckeye55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 7:45am
"Firearm Friendly doctor " Sort of like "Military Intelligence", mutually exclusive terms.

Too many people look at these events and say "This would not have happened if we had an assault weapons ban" and start beating the drum for gun bans. Weapons laws, by themselves, will not cure the problem we have in the US. Before we ever look at gun laws we need to fix our justice system which is slow, unfair, and uncertain. We have to fix our mental health system. Actually, we have to create a mental health system. Right now, people with MH issues go undiagnosed or untreated. Some people that need to be institutionalized walk the streets and we don't even know it. We have to get our borders under control and know who's coming in and going out. Gangs like MS13 are the cause of a lot of bloodshed in our streets and better immigration controls would help that.

Getting the politicians to listen? Impossible.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 8:47am
One weird side note the "Bump Fire" stocks were actually approved for unrestricted sale during the Obama Administration. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 10:28am

Then, what if your doctor isn't "firearm friendly"?

Here in the UK the firearms licensing department simply as the medics if 'anything is known' that would make firearms ownership a risk.
We are having to pay for this. In my police area it is £60 every 5 years.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:25pm
It's 23 Euros a year with my Doctor. He is also a firearm's enthusiast so I suppose that makes it easy. But I have not heard of anyone having difficulties; they are only there to sign the fact that you are capable of ownership.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 1:53pm
I used to hunt with my doctor. He doesn't hunt much anymore. But - his likes aren't going to be around much longer.
He's in his mid 70's. Would like to retire, but no-one to take his place. Proboly the busiest GP in the city..makes house calls, works the hospital, has his office. The only doctors we seem to get now, is SE Asians..thTHAT NO-ONE CAN UNDERSTAND & THEY DON'T CARE MUCH FOR YER AILING WHITE A&%!! (Sad state of affairs, really)
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 12:37pm

I used to hunt with my doctor. He doesn't hunt much anymore. But - his likes aren't going to be around much longer.
He's in his mid 70's. Would like to retire, but no-one to take his place. Proboly the busiest GP in the city..makes house calls, works the hospital, has his office. The only doctors we seem to get now, is SE Asians..thTHAT NO-ONE CAN UNDERSTAND & THEY DON'T CARE MUCH FOR YER AILING WHITE A&%!! (Sad state of affairs, really)

LOL!! I used to hunt with one of Lisa's bosses years ago , a Veterinarian  Man could he gut a hog fast and make it look simple !!
One year I told him how neat and easy he makes gutting an animal look !!  his answer was " They have to live when I do it at work !"   LOL!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 12:45pm
Today CNN posted an "(mis)nifographic", it was a standard M4 with the adjustable stock. They claim the internal spring (recoil spring) is the motivating force behind the "Machine-gun" conversion.  They also claim "everyone can get the 40mm grenade launcher", not the legal 37mm flare launcher.

D'uh!
N'er!

Now every poor slob with an M4 will be getting grief.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
buckeye55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Today CNN posted an "(mis)nifographic", it was a standard M4 with the adjustable stock. They claim the internal spring (recoil spring) is the motivating force behind the "Machine-gun" conversion.  They also claim "everyone can get the 40mm grenade launcher", not the legal 37mm flare launcher.

D'uh!
N'er!

Now every poor slob with an M4 will be getting grief.

CNN doesn't care if what they air is accurate, as long as it raises ratings.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 10:41pm
"....The social structure is very different here.
There's the right to keep & bear arms for starters. Now add a big dollop of privacy issues with anything related to health care.
There's also a track record of bad faith dealings with the gun control crowd, which didn't exist in the U.K. when I still lived there...."

for those that dont know , when we were a colony we were subjected to gun confiscation - to control the riff raff among us that were thinking taxes were too high and independence might be beneficial , 

our founders saw fit to incorporate the freedom to own and carry "bear arms" as a preface to big government ever controlling us again , as much as that has failed - we still have our rights and the first two will be fought for before surrendered , 

i realize this is a difficult concept for those that did not grow up in our culture , but here goes ...as much as the liberal world wants us to accept and embrace the diverse cultures of the world as they are received into our country - which we are , they will need to accept and embrace the fact that we have a culture as well , everyone needs to accept us too , 

those of you that live in countries with strict gun laws - you have not escaped crime , even gun crime , terrorism finds you an easy target and your police/first response teams are no better than ours - on a good day minutes away in that moment of need , 

and my last thought , all 23 of the las vegas shooters guns would have sat silently civil in the corner had he - the person - not elected to act , 
the media here as everywhere have devolved to nothing but propaganda  machines for agendas of politics , there is no impartial voice telling us the news of the day anymore ,  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 12:12pm
It is obviously a very complicated situation and I understand the reasons for the right to bear arms. I agree whole heartedly with the principle. 
Instead of trying to stop people having gun's; maybe they should just educate people in the correct use from a younger age and educate the non gun community in the fact that a gun does nothing on it's own!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 2:49pm
We're trying. Unfortunately they aren't listening.
Its become "doctrine" for "Zealots" & that's a dangerous situation.
There are many attempts to educate youngsters, the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" for example.
https://eddieeagle.nra.org/about/

I'm an Isaac Walton League member & we do youth programs as well.
There's a HUGE amount of fact twisting, willful misunderstanding & outright lies being told & the signal is getting lost in the noise.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 11:20pm
The Custard Pie fight will be a bit onesided if it all turns bad Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic