Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield savage sniper rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 5:43am
My rifle is totally fake. I had to use what was available to me to get it as close as possible to looking like an actual sniper rifle.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

My rifle is totally fake. I had to use what was available to me to get it as close as possible to looking like an actual sniper rifle.

Lets see a picture of it then. Don't make me come there Friday with my Fuji. LOL

.............Wink.............

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 7:54am
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 2:12pm
Hmm are those pad screws on the front pad flat head or round head ? ? If that bracket ended parallel with the bore it looks good.

Cheers

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 2:18pm
The center one is flat. I got lazy and did not bother trying to find the lost round head.
It lined up after alot of fit and finish to the front pad. The reproduction ones are too thick and need to be filed down...
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Is it the knurled rim that makes the difference?

Among other things.

The "button" on the No 4 is much thicker, and the radius where the bottom of the button joins the shank of the cocking piece is different.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 9:48pm
Do you have an extra one you would not mind parting with? I'd like to make mine as authentic as possible.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2017 at 11:16pm
Maxwell. Thanks for the photo showing the two versions. The differences are very clear!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 6:14pm
"...
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

that cocking piece would be correct on an early savage rifle , as well as most other early no4s 

I don't agree.

The cocking piece on the No 4 in goosic's picture is an SMLE one, not an early No 4 one. The early No 4's are like the one in MJ's photo. 
..." 

you are correct , i did not look close enough , it 'appeared' correct when out of context at at casual glance , sorry about that , 

and a second thanks for the fine photo comparison , it puts things in proper perspective clearly , 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

"...
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

that cocking piece would be correct on an early savage rifle , as well as most other early no4s 

I don't agree.

The cocking piece on the No 4 in goosic's picture is an SMLE one, not an early No 4 one. The early No 4's are like the one in MJ's photo. 
..." 

you are correct , it is thinner than would be expected , i did not look close enough , it 'appeared' correct when out of context at at casual glance , sorry about that , but i did not think the no1 and no4 bits were interchangeable , could this be a different version than you are used to seeing ? 

and a second thanks for the fine photo comparison , it puts things in proper perspective clearly , 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 7:08pm
[QUOTE=A square 10]"...deleted 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 7:25pm
If any of you fine Enfield owners have an early No4 cocking piece you'd like to part with,please let me know. I'd really like to make my faux sniper rifle as period correct as possible...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic