Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unissued Savage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:00am
The issue is not down grading the rifle. I've just never seen one with no markings on it like this one. Unused or unissued,I'm okay with. The barrel has the B stamp like the receiver does,that just led me to assume it's all from Savage. I posted this just to get a little information from someone who may have seen or owns one similarly to mine,without any inspection marks. I'm not looking to sell it or wondering what the value is. The value is that I own it,nothing more...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:05am
I just asked because there normally is a lot of information on the left side. I was never trying to be critical.

Sorry if you are offended not my intent at all.

Have a great day.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:33am
Not offended in the slightest. There's just nothing of interest on that side other then the serial number. I've owned numerous Enfield rifles over the course of thirty years and this is the first one I've ever seen that doesn't look like a drunk monkey with a hammer went to town on...
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 6:55am
I have a rifle  No 4 Mk1 1942 Savage and it carries no Army issue marks whatsoever. 
Sold in Queensland  Australia during the 1970s rebarrelled with a heavy 5 land  Australian target barrel and  bedded for target use.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 9:57pm
nice looking rifle  , why do we think the "B" indicates its a savage made bit ? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 10:17pm
In regards to my rifle. I don't,think it's a Savage,I know it is regardless of a B stamped in it.
It has US PROPERTY, a flaming bomb,and a big square S stamped into the slab side of the receiver. What does the B indicate anyways.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:02pm
i was not questioning it to be a savage - i recognized it as such as those markings are unequivacaly such and i am not really questioning the rifle - more the thinking regarding the markings if anything at all , 

what i was questioning is the interpretation of the "B" as a savage mark as most generally its considered a BSA marking , without seeing them ill not say never or always , 
not that it couldn't but i think sharing across the pond of parts was mostly nonexistent , there was exchange of parts in FTR and possibly somewhere after service , 
the longbranch LB marking might be a possibility here , but again without seeing it ill not go there either , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:12pm

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 11:16pm
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 7:01pm
OK , it becomes more clear as the photos show exactly where that "B" is marked , ill need to do some looking to satisfy my curiosity , i recall that "B" as being related to interchangability but i cannot explain why i think that , i know that the no4s were supposed to be interchangeable , those that were non-compliant were marked with an "A" suffix , the action bodies went thru a number of changes in this time period , the mkI to mkI* was a second body variation IIRC , 

your 'S' marking is early and the transition from mkI to mkI* occurred in early 1942 so .. just thinking here but perhaps its a transitional mark ? to show the fact that it was interchangeable ? because some were not ? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 7:21pm
This little odd ball with absolutely no inspection marks,or date stamp,has me at a loss. That B has me stifled as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic