Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone reload berdan primed 303 brass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone reload berdan primed 303 brass?
    Posted: October 15 2017 at 6:25pm
Hi, any of you guys reloading old surplus brass that has the berdan style primer?
Don
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 3:47pm
Reloading  303 Berdan is not really worth the effort. You either have to used a tedious depriming tool or hydrolicly remove the primer.   There is way to much good  boxer primed brass out there to bother with Berdan primed cases.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 2:21am
I used to load Berdan many years ago but personally don't think that it is worth the effort.
However, this is a tip on decapping without buying expensive tools. You need 2 things .. (1) a tight fitting wooden dowel as a punch... (2) a 5/16th nut.
Fill the case with water almost to the neck. Stand the case on the nut which should be on a firm surface, Enter the dowel and hit it with a hammer.

The primer will come out and you will get wet.

After a couple (or less) decapping sessions you will give up and buy some decent Boxer primed brass.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 6:01am
I did it back in the 70's in the UK with the prying tool.
There are actually 2 different sized Berdan primers. The South African R1M3Z can be obtained sometimes from Russian suppliers, but the bigger British ones from Mk VII, are impossible to find.
Add to that the decapping already mentioned &then add the need for special sized primer feeds as well & it becomes a big mess.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Donnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 10:02am
Ok you guys have convinced me not to waste my time on berdan primed cases. I was able to find Hornady brass and 150gr Speer Hot-Cor bullets, and i have a good supply of IMR 4064. I loaded 50 rounds last night with 41gr IMR 4064 and 3.075" COAL. I have about .1" distance to the lands so this should be a fairly mild load. I will post some targets when i get out to shoot this thing. I wonder how low I'll have to aim at 100yds lol? 6"??
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 8:30am
I don't agree that it is a waste of time. It is a skill, be prepared you never know when you might need to use that skill.  Beer I have a bag of RADWAY GREEN 303 and NORINCO 7.62X54r  Berdan brass.

I also have an awl with modified tip and a small hammer that works fine for popping out the primers.

........................Wink...................

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 10:23am
The problem in this area is the lack of correct sized primers.
As I said I used to do it, PITA that it was compared to Boxer, but if you can't get the large sized Brit type primers its all a waste anyway.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 10:40am
All I said was someday you might have to.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 2:30pm
That's why I keep my S/A brass, I would be able to find primers for them!
Thumbs Up
The Brit cases aren't wasted, I use them for setups, master rounds & Action Proving dummies. I also have a "reasonable supply" of HXP & PPU brass & primers so I think I'm good for life. Both I & a friend, now deceased, of mine stocked up on PPU before they became popular & were headstamped "nny". I was fortunate enough to be left a lot of his shooting & reloading supplies.
Hug

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 3:09pm
Sorry for your loss, Shamu.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

Sorry for your loss, Shamu.

I want to be killed by drink, run over by a Beer truck driven by a over stacked women with red hair.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 6:24pm
I want to be shot by an outraged husband at the age of 103
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 2:46am
I want to die crashing my Ferrari whilst being chased by an outraged husband at the age of 103.

We don't condone the misuse of firearms in the UKBig smile
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Donnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 6:52am
You should post a pic of that modified awl. I was able to get my hands on hornady brass, so not an issue being able to shoot the gun at less than $50 a box. Maybe some day I'll tinker with the berdan primed brass.
Anyone doing the rubber o ring thing anymore, or is that too unsafe? I had primers backing out about .007" with mild charge.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

I want to die crashing my Ferrari whilst being chased by an outraged husband at the age of 103.

We don't condone the misuse of firearms in the UKBig smile

I want to be late, for my own funeral
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic