Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 11:18pm
Gnomes make great house pets....and if you teach them how to do lawn maintenance even better!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 5:49am
sheep poo is easier to deal with than Texas Land Mines though, jus' sayin' is all.Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 6:47am
Bear, I took the plung about 20 years ago, bought this place for $40K , was still working call outs for G.E. , then got lucky and landed the Job at Exxon-Moble in Port Allen (Baton Rouge)  that was an hour and 15 min. drive each way ... was there for 7 years then we lost the contract. now Im back on call outs with Archrock...Since then I also bought the north property thats attached to mine !!
As for sheep, if I could ever catch the guy up the road at home ,Im going to see if he will sell me a couple of his.... 
My Wife is a vet tech so I have 6 cats , 7 Dogs, a mule, a Donkey, a Pony for the gran kids, and my Daughters horse, a Guinea fowl ( got to be the toughest bird I ever have raised!! its out lasted every chicken and turkey here from the bobcats and coyotes!!)......
I thought I would not make it at first, but with a few sacrifices here and there along the way, I made it.... and it feels great to come home to my own place....Remember, you can never go wrong with owning land !!!!
Congrats on your purchase Bud !!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 7:09am
Get two cats, birth litter mates if you can.

They will be great hunters, friends, and at times when they play it is great fun to watch.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 7:27am
Canuck, I was wondering when the gnomes were going to be mentioned.

Shamu, you do have a pretty good point there.

Rhino, thanks for the encouragement. I am pretty excited now looking forward to being king of my own castle, so to speak. I am sure I will get used to the commute in no time. Best part is once I get a home office set up the company I work for is good about letting people work from home when the weather is bad.

Paddy, that is exactly what I plan to do. I know I will have a vermin problem at first as the house has been sitting empty a couple years so a couple of cats should help that issue.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 8:31am
..just be careful not to put mouse poison out fer the mice, & then the cats eat the mice. (Gives ya a whole passel of trouble)

"king of my own castle"...I cant wait to see the drawbridge yer gonna make! ..and a moat!! Gotta have a moat, with a moat-monster!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 9:42am
Oh no a Hoadie in the moat!

I just use a mule and Guinea hens as a walking patrol.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 11:53am
Actually...TURKEYS..They are the best weed eaters & security systems you could possibly have. Seriously. Found that out @ my buddy's place. He put some turkeys out round his place in Niagara Falls. They ate every weed in sight - on a continual basis. Absolutley nobody or anything could approach the property without them makin a huge loud fuss. (& they really clean up the june bugs, too!) Makes fer some darn fine eatin, as well.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 1:48pm
The Romans used geese.
Yum goose egg omelettes!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 4:59pm
whatever you choose for lawn care , do enjoy this new phase of your life , as much as some of the toils seem to be overwhelming it is what creates the satisfaction of your ownership and  endures the place to you , it is after all a place you will be calling "home" and that is a special place to be that we grow into , get establiched in and eventually find solice in at all those great moments in life - even those trying ones that test our medal , 

it can be your sanctuary , your refuse , your castle , and also the springboard for your entire future , what a great place to be , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 5:04pm
There's nothing like the feeling of owning your own home! Well said A Square! Looks like all of us are happy for ya, Bear. As you know we thrive on photos here so....
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2017 at 6:07am
I will post some pictures next time I get over there. At this point it won't be until after the first of the year, but I won't forget.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 10:13pm
I got my first property tax bill and I am excited!!! Yeah, most groan at that but it means a lot to me. Oh, the taxes are $249 for the entire year
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 4:09am
Did you forget the photos Bear?Shocked
congrat's on our first "tax" bill! be assured it won't be the last! but that sounds like a good deal; I wish it was as cheap here.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 5:18am
I have not forgotten I just have not been over to the house yet this year. It will probably be a couple weeks yet before I run over. I promise to take some pictures when I do.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 9:37am
Do they test missles there?
Property tax that low...must be something like that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic