Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 4:06pm
very nice , my wife and i did our place back in the early-mid ninetys , it is indeed rewarding , we both had a lot of experience from past lives projects so we took on a lot more , not much i would do different if i had the chance to do it over , little things about taste maturing are switched from time to time , 

the only things i hired out complete were removing the old [very old] tar and gravel roof /replacement with EPDM membrane , it added insulation and remover a lot of dead weight , and the furnace replacement adding central air , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 3:42am
The hauling of stuff is almost done. Next Saturday the 28th will be the day the last loads are hauled and I will be in my house. Then comes all the cleaning and unpacking and work on the house. Made another discovery last weekend. The water pipes running to the bathroom are broken. Fortunately they have shutoff valves after the water heater so I will at least have running water to the kitchen sink for the time being. We will be installing a new toilet this weekend so for now I will have to fill the tank with a bucket to flush it but that is better than needing an outhouse I will be taking sink baths until I can get the bathroom plumbing squared away but that's bearable.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 4:30pm
we make concessions durring remodeling process - pretend its fun camping out in your house , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 5:27pm
When I was a kid my dad and I lived a few years in a house with no running water. Cistern outside and an outhouse. The house was very old. It has prepared me for this moment
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 6:38pm
good on you - you shall overcome , and live hapily later too , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 1:55pm
Sorry it took so long, but here's the pics I promised from the pioneer style mini-garden.
I was a bit early this year because nothing sprouted yet & they hadn't printed the "maps" of how-what-grows-where.

Inside, outside (both are used) & an overall view including the expansion they started this year.

As you can see it gives 4 internal raised beds, each of which has slightly different plants on the 4 sides & the center.

Then there's the surrounding path, a verge (also use for planting & the picket fence makes the liming frames) & yet another row round the outside.

IIRC the outside row is mostly for herbs & spices that the local critters don't like so its not just a spice factory, but a repellent field as well.

They usually have all sorts of info on pamphlets but I'm a bit early this year as you can see.

ON the other side they have 3 “bins”, interleaved horizontal wood strips. Those are used for dumping all the unwanted plant matter, grass trimmings & so on for use next season as a mulch & compost. As the first bin fills its turned into the second, & then the third, by which time its broken down nicely.

Of course when you have nothing else to do!

Censored

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:30am
That is pretty interesting to see. I really like the aspect of the herbs and such on the outside to keep the critters away. I won't get to a garden this year but it gives me a plan for next year.

To let you all know, I may be a bit scarce on here for a while. I don't have internet at the house yet so my only access for now is when I am at the office. I'll drop in when I can though.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 8:27am
Can't you climb up the telephone pole like Eddie Albert in Green Acres?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 9:12am
No problem, enjoy. If I can find the "map" I'll get it & post it. Supposedly mint is a very good broad spectrum anti-insect choice, & it seemed to work well here last year. It is also growing like a weed, the stuff just sprawls out everywhere all you do is point it in a direction. Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 9:43am
Mint also repels raccoons. They HATE the smell of it, in fact I have seen mint scented plastic garbage bags at the grocery stores.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 10:33am
That is great to know about the mint. I have raccoons hanging about. Walked out back last weekend and heard two of them fighting underneath a wood pile. Quite the racket.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 7:14pm
huh - free entertainment in the later hours of the night with flashlight and maybe a lazer , hust thinking out loud , not sugesting you stake them out but ....whatever works , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic