Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Throw Back Thursday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Throw Back Thursday
    Posted: November 09 2017 at 6:44am
At least five year back. Wink

.......Cheers.......
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 3:48pm
started to say nice P14 - looks like an eddy fat boy ? but i see no volleys so its been thru weedon and refitted with a scottish stock OR more likely an M17 , 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 5:41pm
Mint M17  30-06 Wink
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 5:01pm
yup - thought so - who made it ? 

was hard to get a good look in that photo , i cannot see both sides so i cannot gage finger grooves and such , the differences are so subtle that one needs closeups most times , i take it by "mint" you mean no arsenal remarks on the stock etc , 

ive owned a lot in my collecting period but currently mine is a winchester , my P14 is an eddy fat boy , one of my M1917s was a remington with candian stamp and a trace of red paint so it served in canada - i sorta wish i still had it , 

there is some who say that remington and eddystone were the same but two factories , actually they were not they were autonomous except for cash infusion by remington players - no interaction between manufacturers , three separate contracts for both the brits and the US , eddy was the most successful in numbers , 

only winchester and remington made the bayonets tho ....some were canceled brit contracts remarked to US , i still have most of mine ..at least a great example of each , as well as the scabbards except for that early plastic one that is so illusive , 

a really strong action - these saw use in both world wars , stored and refurbished between and as aid in countless small conflicts they were the staple of military aid for decades in both 3006 and the original 303 , shame there are not many of the trials P13s about , ive wanted one for a long time , they have been a staple of sporters and wildcats forever , also issued in south america as a military rifle [i dont have one of those as it does not fit my collection] 

i do love these rifles - the first real example of civilian contracted military rifles on a large scale by both sides of the pond that were successful in the millions , i made a mistake selling off some of mine back when i was smarter than i am now , 

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 4:22pm
It's a Remington BBL date 1918, this photo is from my FFL when they showed up from a CABELAS  in Mississippi but looked new in and out. I sold my Winchester P14 to pay for both.

I know I have some better pictures but would have to dig around.

Have a great Veterans Day

...Cheers...
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 7:58pm
Thanks!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 9:53am
The Remington M-17 with as I recall with out a long drive and two days to do it has no interesting marks but was very clean and a superb bore muzzle . It is something to shoot I must say with first time hits at 300 and five hundred yard steel plates. It is a large chunk of rifle with a respectable push when shooting 168g SMK's..Wacko

.....Cheers.....
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 4:37pm
very nice , and a set with that bayonet , needs a proper WWI sling tho that one is WWII vintage or later , 

these are a handful of rifle but shoot so well , i would love to get my mits on a P13 and see what that lighter round might have done for this design , it was intended for that smaller projectile and way hotter round , thats why they were considered such great candidates for sporting with other [even wildcat] rounds , really strong action , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic