Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I find more info...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I find more info...
    Posted: November 19 2017 at 9:28am
....on an SMLE I am currently buying? Yes, I KNOW my last visit was in November last year but I have been concentrating on Martini Rifles recently Big smileLOL 

So, here is the description posted by the seller.

SMLE MkIII* Enfield 1918

Irish Fianna Fáil Marked
Calibre .303
Serial No I21168

Very Good Condition

This is the standard MkIII* .303 SMLE rifle manufactured by the RSAF Enfield in 1918

This rifle has been renumbered at some point, the original numbers are barred out and has been re-numbered to I21168.

As war was looming the large store of war reserve stocks were being prepared, this example is typical of the programmes in 1938/39 where many were rebarreled. This rifle was rebarreled in 1938 as marked on the left side of the barrel.

This is a nice standard MkIII* SMLE and the icing on the cake is the FF marks denoting Irish ownership.

A nice rifle that has an excellent bore.

And here are the photo's......

Anyone got any ideas / suggestions as to where I can find more info on these rifles? 
Duncan.

A DAY WITHOUT WINE IS A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE

I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it!

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

W.C. Fields.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 6:16pm
it looks legit to my limmited knowledge - i believe its an honest wwi riflre that was refurbed to go to ireland for issue - i could be wrong here it may well have been issued in WWI there 

would hope some of our advanced collectors will chime in here , and perhaps a few from ireland that might have info might input , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 5:24am
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 11:51am
Welcome back Duncan! It's been a while.
 That looks like a very nice example that you've found. Unfortunately I can't help with the details of your rifle. but I look forward to reading  what you find out.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
ducaninfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 12:31pm
Main problem at the moment is getting the seller to reply to my requests for information. £ emails gone un-answered and 2 phone calls with action promised and nothing happening. 

Got a couple of others in the pipeline because.........

.......I had an idea that it would be fitting to fire a 3 round volley at the Remembrance Service in Bordeaux next year to commemorate 100 year since the signing of the cease fire in The Great War at 11a.m. on 11th November in 1918.
I have circulated my proposal to various people including the mayor of Talence in Bordeaux where the CWGC Cemetery is located.
I had intended to use my No4 Mk:I because even though it was made in 1943 it is still an Enfield. 
Discussing this with Elaine she said " Wouldn't it be better if you used a rifle from the Great War?"
Having explained the cost and quality of such items in France I said that the No4 would be a good substitute.

A day later, while having our evening meal she said " I think you should use a rifle of the time - you can spend up to €1000 out of the 'savings' fund on buying one"

That's why I am chasing one and this seemed a great buy - if only the bloke would get of his arse and sort it out.....Handshake

Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 1:58pm
The lack of cooperation is a bit of a red flag to me. Why not tell the prospective buyer what he wants to close the deal?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 3:27pm
I am buying and yest, it seems a red flag job to me too. 
Got 5 other irons in the fire though!!
Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 4:55pm
good luck on whichever you choose to be successful with , this one certainly looks to be a creat choice - shame your communication is not being recipricated , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 11:59am
Great to have an intelligent partner who let's you spend your hard earned cashThumbs Up
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 12:13pm
Bloke came back to me this morning and said he would double check the rifle and if it was as he said he would let me have the payment details etc.,
Looking goodClap
Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 2:05pm
OK, good luck, fingers crossed for you.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 7:48pm
o, in your court , hope this works out well for you , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 12:50am
He sent me an email yesterday with all his details and so 'The cheques in the post' Tongue
Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 10:09am
good for you , i for one am pleased to hear this is working out , its a great looking rifle , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 7:44am
I have now had confirmation he has received my cheque and the rifle will soon be on it's way to a friend in Scotland via his local friendly RFD. To save paying another £300+ in export fees AND having to do my own paperwork my pal is bringing it with him when he comes over next July to stay in our Gîte.

Meantime..........

I just received a scabbard for my 1907 pattern SMLE bayonet. It is covered in grease - not cosmolene as far as I can see, but there is a lot of it!

I would really appreciate any guidance on cleaning this stuff off and then treating the leather so it doesn't deteriorate.

Duncan.

W.C. Fields.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 8:41am
My first choice would be WD-40 & disposable fabric like J-Cloths, or the equivalent for cleaning & grease removal, as its been used as both a grease remover & a leather protector. Then some kind of neutral shoe wax or dubbin to preserve the leather without harming it. Is there a stables or tack shop there? Most of the products for horse leathers should do. Do't use neatsfoot as it softens excessively.
http://jcloth.com/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic