Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it Live or is it Memorex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it Live or is it Memorex
    Posted: November 27 2017 at 6:10pm
So, I've been making some alterations on my faux No4 T. I've cleaned up the furniture by using #0000 steel wool,taken everything apart and reblued it so as to have color conforming pieces. I found an early Savage cocking piece and added it to the ensemble.
I located a front hand guard with a notch in it so I was able to use a hinged barrel band I had in a parts bin. It is of my opinion that I did an outstanding job recreating an iconic piece of military history.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 1:53am
Well you have been a busy boy.  Wink

...............Thumbs Up............
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:25pm
Yes,yes I have...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:46pm
Nice work!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 4:19pm
looks good to me , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 1:37pm
I stopped into my local gun shop today with it. As soon as I opened the case, two of the store personnel offered me a substantial amount of money for it. I informed them that if I accepted the offer they would be the owner of a faux No4 T sniper rifle. They could not believe this is not an original. That,in and of itself made me a tad prideful. The owner asked me this though. "Why would you ruin a perfectly decent Enfield by adding a scope?" I answered. I did not ruin it. It's still in full military dress,it still shoots as it was intended to do. I gave it a small facelift by installing the cheek rest,scope mount,and scope for an Enfield No4 MkI T sniper rifle. His thought process on that was that all I did was sporterised another Enfield. It made me think. Is that what I did?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 2:24pm
Possibly.
I did something similar to my unwrapped No4 Mk2, but I made no irreversible changes. If you drilled & tapped the receiver to get the mount pads on then its no longer "original", the same with the butt where the cheek piece is screwed in. It's yours & you can customize as you see fit, so its not "Bubba'd", but it is irreversibly changed. Purists won't like that. Heck they don't like what I did & I can reverse every little detail in minutes with all the original parts.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 8:01pm
I'm looking at it like this. Purists view aside and yes,you are correct,nothing I did to it is reversible. I took a rifle that wasn't even a rifle at the time,it was just a barrelled receiver and I went to town making a rifle. It just happened to become a No4 T rifle. So,to a degree,I did sporterize an Enfield rifle by drilling and tapping holes into the side of the receiver to accept a scope mount.
It's still a No4 MkI,and it still goes bang when you pull the trigger. It's just now,you can see the target a little better now...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 8:02pm
Love that blonde wood on your rifle by the way...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 4:32am
If you built it from a barrelled receiver; you've obviously not ruined a "perfectly decent Enfield". What you've done is restore the bare parts to a slghtly different version.
 A bit like restoring a Ford Mustang bodyshe!! and upgrading to a V8 instead of 6 cylinder.
It's one more rifle at the range; that's got to be good!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 10:05am
I agree, if it wasn't original before its not such a big deal.
Example:
I bought a No5, on further inspection the stock was completely butchered internally. The bayonet lug was ground off & it had been re-blued (quite nicely as well).
At that point I had no problem converting it to a "Gubbermint Model Sporter"!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 12:41pm
Very nice rifle you have.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:27pm
your not ruining "your" rifle , some might differ in their thinking and i understand that but it is yours .

finding and paying for real no4Ts is an issue - its why i do not have one , altering my current rifles is out of the question in my mind as they were accumulated with a purpose , that said i did alter some in the past , specifically a Cno7mkI with a scope and "T" cheek piece as well as a charnwood conversion with the same , both served well for the time i owned them , 

bottom line - i do not fault you as long as you dont try to pass it off as an original , enjoy your rifle or let someone else enjoy it they are getting a lot scarcer 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:38pm
I'm too proud of what I did to not let people know I made it.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:39pm
Meaning,I will always say hey look what I did.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:48pm
good on you , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic