Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firing Pin Won’t Budge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimkinmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firing Pin Won’t Budge
    Posted: December 28 2017 at 1:56pm
he!!o I have a MK 4 no.1 that I cannot get the firing pin to budge. I have broken one tool trying to break it free. I have the bolt filled with Hoppes 9 and have been letting it soak and occasionally trying to get it to move. Are there any suggestions that anyone has used to correct this issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 6:21pm
first off you will get more responses with proper nomenclature - its a no4 mkI i think , the resaon i say this is because the wrong info leads to the wrong answers or a rambling [not that this would be abnormal here] bunch of responses that dont help much , and lots of questions you could avoid , 

secondly , i think hoppes might work but you may want to go to a penetrating oil or brake free/cleaner to loosen solidified cosmoline and such , 

lastly are you sure its not been deactivated by welding the pin ? just askin as ive heard of this , i wish you much luck getting this functioning and i know someone smarter than me will jump in soon with good ideas , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 6:42pm
Just a thought here but did you remove the striker lock screw at the back of the cocking piece before trying to remove the striker (firing pin)?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Jimkinmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimkinmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 6:43pm
A Square, thank you for the correction, I have fired this rifle many times hence wanting to clean up the bolt, firing pin etc. so I’m sure it’s not welded. I hope the Hoppes loosens it up..
Jimkinmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimkinmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 6:44pm
Yes, screw removed and cocking piece is off and all cleaned up.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 2:19am
The down and dirty way to remove a No4 Mk1 firing pin is to pull the cocking piece back far enough that you can get a pair of vise grips onto the firing pin while putting a crecent wrench over the cocking piece and slowly turn the cocking piece to the left.
I've had to resort to this on several occasions over the decades and have yet to ruin a firing pin or cocking piece. I did spray the threaded area down with a penetration oil first I must add...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Jimkinmd Jimkinmd wrote:

Yes, screw removed and cocking piece is off and all cleaned up.

I just read this quote and noticed you said the cocking piece is off?
If that's the case and the firing pin is still inside the bolt body,find a screw that will screw onto the firing pin itself,run it down far enough that you can tap on it with a small hammer while gripping the bolt body tightly with your other hand or,grip the bolt body tightly with your hand smack the back of the firing pin down onto a piece of hardwood.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 2:47am
Other then whatever crud you have built up inside the bolt body and as you've stated,the cocking piece has been unscrewed from the firing pin,the only thing else inside the bolt body with the pin is the spring.
Use this stuff called PB Blaster and soak the inside of the bolt,and then start tapping on the back of the pin. There should be enough spring tension to pop that pin right out.
I have to ask,so forgive me. Did you unscrew the bolt head completely off the bolt body?
Jimkinmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimkinmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 8:05am
Thank you all for the help. I have tried everything and decided i don’t want to break the firing pin or bolt and have given up. I may just take it to a gunsmith.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 8:48am
Try heating the piece up. If it is gunk, it will melt. With the Hopes, this would also be that little bit extra to break rust. Use one of those hand held propane tanks. Do not over heat and change the temper of the steel.*** Hand held propane bottle, like used for soldering.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 5:36am
To be safe you could use a domestic oven (providing your wife's out) that way you can control the temperature. Put it on a small tin tray to catch any fluid.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 6:47am
Try putting the bolt in a cold place like out side and let it cool down.

As steel expands at warm temp it get smaller at cold temp at different rates you might be able to get it to release.

Try fighting it slightly then try to undo it. Might break the threads loose.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

To be safe you could use a domestic oven (providing your wife's out) that way you can control the temperature. Put it on a small tin tray to catch any fluid.

Just don't use the bath tub - like I did.
That's the reason I know what a "conniption" looks like
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 11:49am
I think his problem is built up dirt, grease,rust,all kinds of stuff. He has stated that he has removed the cocking piece. There's just a firing pin and a spring inside the bolt body.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 2:35pm
That's something odd it should just slide (slurp?) out.
Try leaving it in  a can of penetrating oil overnight?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 2:43pm
I have had good luck with items soaking in diesel fuel in a coffee can for a few days.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic