Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie with a ZF stamped stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with a ZF stamped stock
    Posted: January 05 2018 at 4:28pm

Greetings from a new guy in frozen Tennessee,
To get right to the point, I bought my first Enfield, a Savage No4 Mk 1*.  Today I was looking it over, figuring out how to remove the bolt, etc, and Googled the ZF stamped into the butt stock.  That was disappointing.   Also I’ve included a pic of the export/proof stamps on the barrel at the muzzle.  Questions: [1] Regarding the ZF, what I found was several years old. Is there anything new that might provide some hope on my situation?  [2] The export/proof stamp only has a NP, not the BNP, is that common?  [3] Just wondering why would it have an export stamp if it failed inspection and not safe to use?

Thank you in advance for your help.  Anything else is greatly appreciated.
Regards

Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 2:52am
I was hoping over the weekend to get some help on my questions.  I would really appreciate some feedback.
Thanks 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 11:12am
This is from Peter Laidler:The short answer to this is that the ZF marking to an Armourer means that this is the end of the line.

The Z means that it has been condemned at a Base workshop (that's the Z bit) as suitable only for a Factory Repair (that's the F part). This will indicate something to do with a part that cannot be rectified at Base Workshop and that is inevitably a damaged body. On a No4 rifle, this is what we call 'the master component', a part that is NEVER supplied as a spare part through the Ordnance channels.

There was only one other mark that was more extreme than ZF and that was ZF-BER. Which meant that in addition to the ZF, one of the examiners had decreed it to be beyond economic repair in any case. But effectively, both were the same......................

There was a milder Z-BER which indicated that it wasn't even worth sending to the factory and at workshops, these were torched!

So, the rifle your correspondent is referring to falls into one of three categories
1) scrap
2) very scrap
3) Extremely scrap

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 11:52am
Sorry for the bad news, Link
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 1:00pm
Is the ZF in the wood or the metal?
If its ONLY the wood its possible the stock was salvaged from a junker & used to fix something better, but in the action body (receiver) metal its 100% toast.

NP is "London Proof House" & BNP is "Birmingham Proof House" Other than geography there is absolutely no difference.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 2:04pm
Thanks to everyone and especially for the info in differentiating the NP versus BNP.  None of my Googlin' found that.  The ZF is stamped only in the buttstock.  That was why I was asking about the rifle having an export/proof stamp at the muzzle if it failed inspection and not safe to use but sold into the commercial market.  BTW, I do have a headspace field gauge on order.  What else would need checked out before shooting it?  I pulled the stock off today and it looks like there isn't a whole lot to one of these.
Thanks again.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 3:53pm
Link. You should upload some pictures of this rifle so we can get a better idea as to what you're dealing with. Alot can be told with photos.
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 5:02pm
As suggested here's some more pics.  ZF stamp is in first pic near the butt.  I've got the stock off so if there's something I need to look at or get a pick just let me know. Thanks!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:09pm
please , the photos of other areas will help , the import/exprt marks look fairly normal to me 
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 2:58am
More pics are posted, just I'm a new member and awaiting Admin Approval. 
Thanks
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 5:50am
Is there a 6-point star on the breech over the barrel? I see something there but can't tell what exactly. If so the bore might be rusted badly?
The No4 Mk1* had the cut in the bolt rail for removal & they were prone to chipping & so jumping out of the track, so that's worth checking as well.
It could be many things like a cracked lug on the bolt, a peened locking recess in the receiver & so on. I'd suggest a full function check with it unloaded. & a good peek into all the nooks & crannies with a light & a magnifier looking for oddities.
Check safe goes ON/OFF & locks bolt in full & 1/2 cock. Check striker doesn't fall if you engage safe>> pull trigger>> disengage safe. (It shouldn't fall).
Check cocked bolt with striker held & trigger pulled & released gets caught by 1/2 cock notch, & so on.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 8:29am
It does appear to be a six point star/asterisk.  The barrel is a two groove with the lands and grooves well defined.  Appears bright and shiny full length, but in the picture it looks like there may be pitting.   As for the bolt rail I'm guessing this is the small rail the bolt head slides on?  Same one with notch you rotate head for bolt removal?  If so it appears undamaged and bolt retains position full stroke.  As for the safety checks I'll do those after I get the rifle back into its stock.

Thanks!

Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 3:46pm
Another question.  Should the rear (middle?) barrel band with the sling swivel be loose when tightened?  The sling swivel is snug in place but the band itself is not tight on the stock.
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 3:48am
Please see previous questions.  Also, does anybody know where to pick up a .074" "coin" or other headspace gauge.  I was notified by Okie the owner had sadly passed away.  
Thanks 
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 3:30pm
Can someone help answer should the rear (middle?) barrel band with the sling swivel be loose on the stock when tightened?  The sling swivel is snug in place but the band itself is not tight on the stock.
Thanks
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 8:42pm
the sling swivel band might be loose if the wood has shrunk , in general they are tight , or at least snug to fit the assembly , you have options here but remember some of these things affect accuracy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic