Help Identifying This Lee Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identifying This Lee Enfield
    Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:52pm
served in the second military district - austrailia in the second world war unless someone corrects me , that is the meaning of the 2 over the D arrow D , 

one number is its original serial number the other is the ausie serial number , i think the R 79931 is original , both SSA & NRF used the R prefix in 1918 and that might explain the lack of factory ID on the wrist [i dont have one of those so i cannot say for certain] RSA Enfield also used it but i have those and they are marked on the wrist , 
JustinNL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 3:33pm
Thanks for the info guys, i cant pick out the markings on the bolt they seem to be too worn, all i can pick out is a 4, up by the bolt face is stamped M
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 2:36pm
With those markings it is either an SSA or NRF rifle. That will be marked on the left rear of the receiver, on the flat area on top of the wrist. It has also been through Australia as it has Australian Land Service stamps.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 1:08pm
I'm with Hoadie, here's a bit more info.

It was once military (it has the crown & G.R. stamps & british "Broad Arrow" property stamps) & was "Sold Out of Service" probably to a wholesaler who sold it on. It might be a BSA because of the ShtLE stamping instead of SMLE.

I'm guessing there is an "FTR" stamp there somewhere? Possibly not shown? I say this because of the dual serial numbers on the receiver, one of which matches the barrel's serial #.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 12:00pm
Your RIFLE is a Short Lee Enfield Mk III *, sporterized.
While the pictures help, & are clear - we don't know what the bolt numbers are, and if they match the rest of the RIFLE.
The buttstock looks to be original.
Cant really say more than that right now
Loose wimmen tightened here
JustinNL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 8:30am
hi guys, i was wondering if anyone could provide any info on this gun

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic