Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.4 Mk1* Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No.4 Mk1* Rebuild
    Posted: January 08 2018 at 3:55pm
he!!o,

I have recently purchased my first Enfield No.4 Mk1* which has had the original wood stock cut down and "sportised", the barrel is the original 25.2 inches so I decided that this rifle would be ideal to return to its former Battlefield rifle state.

I purchased a complete wood stock furniture from e-bay.uk which claimed the wood is from war-stock and has never been issued.  The wood has a really dark and slightly sticky finish, which I think is Cosmoline (source http://www.enfield-rifles.com/cleaning-refinishing-and-restoratio_topic3473.html) but I am loathed to go dipping my wood into boiling water just yet, until I am sure.

The wood furniture is complete and looks to be in very good condition, so I believe that this is never issued equipment from HMG war-stock.  Is there any other way of removing the Cosmoline/preserving and turning my woodwork into the beautiful Beech colour that I think is underneath?

Any help is greatly received.

Regards,

Canadian Brit
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:05pm
welcome , use old towel or other rags to wrap it and heat it in the sun or with a hair dryer/heat gun , be careful to take your time and it will leach out leaving you with a nice stock set , if in the sun they suggest wraping in black plastic to take advantage of the heat absorbtion , 

you can initiate the process with a wipedown of mineral spirits to get rid or the outside coating , 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:15pm
Again pictures will get you a more accurate reply.

............Cheers.............

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
CanadianBrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the reply. Heat from the sun in Ontario right now isn't going to happen, but I really like the heat gun idea with the towel. I'll use the mineral sprits first then take a look at the coating, it might be that the wood isn't Beech after all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 7:45pm
I'll take some shots in the daylight, and post them up. Thanks for the reply.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 4:40am
Marcus:

Just where in Ontario are you? (Its a large piece of acerage)
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 4:44am
I’m in the Ottawa Valley, close to Pembroke.

Cheers

Marcus
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 5:16am
No need for water, boiling or otherwise. water will raise grain & then you'll have to sand it back.

I like denatured Alcohol (Yellow Heet) with a disposable cloth (like a J-Cloth or similar

They don't shred or leave lint like paper towels.

Just wet the cloth with the Heet & scrub vigorously, change the cloth as it gets dirty & keep going til it doesn't get dirty anymore.
Now leave overnight to evaporate & buff with grey or used (but clean) green Scotchbrite.

The wood will be bone dry, so get some oil of your choice in there to start the refinish.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by CanadianBrit CanadianBrit wrote:

I’m in the Ottawa Valley, close to Pembroke.

Cheers

Marcus

AHA! Pembroke..We have hunt cabin & cottages north end of Ottawa Valley - Bancroft, Maynooth, L'amble & Bird's Creek.

Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 1:52pm
I took some Photos:

This is my Lee Enfield next to the new wood furniture.

Next is the stock - you might be able to see the "imprint" of the bubble wrap on the preservative.

Next the two hand guards:

And lastly the fore-end woodwork

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 1:59pm
Its nice, but I think I see an imprint of an action is the one showing inside the rear of the forend & even maybe a little inletting at the rear of the barrel channel. Are there also pressure marks above the draws as well?
Still in very nice shape, either way It should "clean up nice"!
That's not a huge amount of cosmo either, my mummy wrap was absolutely slathered with the stuff. It should clean up relatively easily.
Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 2:23pm
Thanks Shamu  - much appreciated.  I'm thinking of using Linseed oil - would you recommend that?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 3:02pm
I was born in Pembroke in 1960. Dad was stationed in Petewawa. Moved to Shilo MB. In '65. Both pretty cool places to grow up in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 3:14pm
You wouldn’t recognize Pet now, we even have a Starbucks!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 4:33pm
We lived on 6 Caen (St?, Ave?) 50+ years ago but I still remember picking blue berries (not Saskatoons) in the bush, picking button mushrooms in the sports field in the early morning, and walking forever to the beach with my sisters to swim in the Ottawa River.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 5:13pm
Canadianbrit/Shamu... I've refinished quite a few gunstocks (all makes) in my version of the Old English finish. It is time consuming, but in my mind, worth it. Once old finish/oil is removed, buff wood to a gloss with the finest steel wool. Mix raw linseed oil and terpentine in a 50/50 ratio. Apply a generous coat to wood. Leave over night to allow it to soak in. In the morning, remove excess with a rag (be careful with discarded rags, may have a tendency to burn!!!) There shouldn't be a lot of excess. Rub all wood with your hand until you generate some heat. Then apply another coat and leave over night. Repeat until you think the wood has stopped absorbing mixture. For the final finish, use boiled linseed oil. Use the same process. Again, I do apologize for being long winded, but the end result, in my opinion, is traditional, and something to behold! Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic