Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

its winter here - or is it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: its winter here - or is it ?
    Posted: January 10 2018 at 10:52pm
we went below zero F here just before christmas - ran 14 days straight , a near record if not one for that period of time , usually later jan or feb , low was around -25 here , worse north -think it hit -35 or more in those areas , so last week this time it started warming -above zero to start then up into +30s over the weekend and into +40s today , 

my sump pump was running a couple times tonight , WTF it normally only runs at melt off/frost out spring or if it rains for a really long time in summer , im on sand by the river - takes the water really well normally , got all the snow and ice off my walks this evening and had an outdoor fire to burn boxes and such from christmas , 

now i hear rain on the roof ? 

its supposed to go back below zero overnight and stay for the next week - but first rain then snow , tomorrows drive to work will be fun - snow on ice makes for unpredictable rush hour traffic , i am ready for spring already , and its 2-3 months off , 

hope youall are having better 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:36am
Over here we have been missing out on the moisture. It is to the point we really do need it so hopefully we get some good spring rains this year. The cold though... Just been brutal, same as what you have been seeing. Nice warmup the last few days but we are supposed to get back down to -20 over the weekend. Can't complain too much though, my old truck has been starting like a champ in the cold so all is good so far.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 4:25am
Same here A SQ..went into deep freeze for couple weeks straight. Even set records. Cabin got below minus 39 C, but here in the "Banana Belt"(aka: Niagara) we flirted around minus 30 down to minus 35 C. It went from there to PLUS 9 C over night & is supposed to get warmer today...& rain.
Friday night thru Saturday, they are predicting FRANKENSTORM. Falling temps, turning rain to sleet, followed by a heavy dose of snow & back into deep freeze. (I'm getting too old for this)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 5:05am
You guys should try dealing with the cold here in Phoenix, Arizona. I had to put a jacket on over my tank top the other day. It rained two days ago and I had to wear my Levi's and a pair of Justin boots instead of my shorts an tennis shoes. It's in the mid sixties right now.
No measurable snow fall up north in Flagstaff this year either. I've lived here for fifty years now and I believe that this is the warmest winter we've had to date...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 6:17am
Goosic, I feel your pain. Living in Manitoba, our temperatures are just inverted Phoenix temps!! Snow is just cold sand!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 6:56am
For us lifer Phoenicians,it actually sucks about these warmer temperatures. Typically,around late November we get our first snowfall two hours north of us in Flagstaff. Nothing. The lowest temperature so far in Phoenix was 36 and even that went away as quickly as it came. Four hours later it was in the high sixties,and by noon it was 82. If you've ever watched the Christmas show,"A Year Without Santa Claus." We here in Phoenix are represented as Southtown U.S.A. ...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 7:03am
My brother and sister in law from Calgary have a condo in Phoenix and have been Snowbirds for many years. He's a ranked IPSIC shooter and loves the range facilities down there.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 9:56am
-2C here and lightly snowing. I'm retired so I don't have to drive to work. My supplies are full and have enough beer to last...uh,well...gee I better go get some more just in case snowmaggedon arrives! Up to 30 centimeters expected before night fall tonight January 11/18 then flurries with an arctic front dropping down into the valley I live in. Freezing rain a definite possibility. Last week we had a 62 hour power outage due to freezing rain and snow accumulating on tree branches which in turn downed many power lines in the area. Had my new 6500 watt generator running the whole time to keep me and the fur babies warm and fed and with light. Good thing the big propane tank was almost full so the fireplace kept running. I also had my hunting camp stove going for coffee in the morning. I put an extra blanket on the bed like usual this time of year. Last year at this time we got 4 feet of snow in two days! I have a metal roof so when the stuff started to melt during the day the snow started to slip off the roof slowly but at night when it froze again the snow stopped in my gutters and in the morning I heard a huge crash...it was the gutters all ripping off! That cost a few bucks to replace. Aaahhh, winter, don't you just love it?!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 1:28pm
2:30 PM it had risen to 65F!! What a meteric rise in temperature. People were out walking their dogs in T shirts.
Misty rain has started now, & temps are slowly falling back down again, but we aren't "supposed" to go lower than minus 5 C. We're being told to prepare for FRANKENSTORM starting tomorrow afternoon lasting thru Saturday.
Canuck: try putting a "gutter-helmut" on your eave troughs. (I assume you have snow-brakes). If it melts slow, it will drain thru but if it lets go fast - it should slide right over the gutter-helmet. FWIW
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:17pm
No snow brakes yet but planning on getting them. Gutter-Helmet...hhmmm I'll look into those as well. See, the thing is, we haven't had this kind of snow fall amounts for many many years in this area. If this weather pattern continues in the future I most certainly will be prepared. Thank you for those ideas, I will pursue them with vigor.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:25pm
Stockpile more beer! Have lots of fuel and hole up till it's all over! I kind of envy you...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:32pm
Honkytonk, my mother was born and raised near St. Boniface, MB in a little whistle stop named St. Claude. She told me of the severe weather there and I have pictures she saved of those winter weather events. Brutal winters there!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:35pm
I can actually see the Mason-Dixon line if I look North from my man cave window!

Mrs Wifey is outraged that we get snow, sleet, & ice storms & so on in the winter, living "In The South".
LOL

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 4:16pm
Canuck. I've been to St Claude. Very nice area. As I speak, me and the wife are bundling up to go for our 1/2 evening walk, regardless of weather. (I think it's currently pushing -40 with the wind!) I'm retired now, but being an outdoor worker all my life on the prairies, I always said " you can dress for the cold, you can't undress for the heat". Also, another one that keeps us going " what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." I suspect I'm not luring any of our southern neighbors to move up north!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 4:57pm
Small world eh?!! I love the prairies. Northern Pike fishing....heaven!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 6:04pm
Just got back from the 1/2 hr walk. Brisk, to say the least! -38C with the wind! Brewing up a cuppa and going to read my favorite book... and old Hodgson reloading manual. I'm thinking of working up a load for my new (to me) Parker Hale using a box of old CIL 215 gr. Open sites, should be a pretty good bush gun! Even at 1900-2000 fps I suspect it'll leave a mark on Bambi next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic