Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those Aussie Enfields in 308...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those Aussie Enfields in 308...
    Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:01am
Remember a good while back when AIA (the name could be wrong) were selling their new version of the Lee Enfield? I saw a bunch at a gun show 10-15 years ago. I think it was the supplier. 308 for the No 4 clone and 7.62x39 for the jungle carbine. Anyone ever by one? Seems to me back then they were about $750. I believe the company no longer exists.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 8:33am
They looked like Lee Enfields, but weren't. Almost nothing was interchangeable.  IIRC they were banned from import because they were actually made in Viet Nam.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 10:44am
I saw one at a show in Las Vegas years ago. It was in a plastic case marked not for sale. The vendor was trying to take pre-orders at well over $1K. Some time later I looked at the 7.62X39 rifle at the Cow Palace in SF.

Nice looking rifles and great wood, I believe it was Teak wood.

To rich for me.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 12:18pm
I believe you are correct in the wood.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 7:14pm
yes it was teakwood , i thought heavy but not sure that to be true , not real enfields or commercial sporters either , 
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 6:23am
I have two; one in 7.62 x 51 and the other in 7.62 x 39.

Nice solid rifles, teak furniture, quite heavy.  Quite happy with them.

Different bolt head set up to a .303, with the case head shrouded, and a plunger ejector.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 6:24am
Good shooters? If I recall, didn't they come with a Pickinny scope rail?
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 6:39am
Yes, they came drilled and tapped for a picatinny rail.

I'm reasonably happy with the accuracy, although it is no better than the heavy-barrelled No 4 7.62 which I have.

The M-14 style magazines tend to be a bit limiting in cartridge overall length.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic