Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jungle Carbine
    Posted: January 23 2018 at 8:32am
I've ready the battle site on a No4 Mk1 is calibrated to 300 yds. Would this be the same for the Jungle Carbine? Thanks.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 10:24am
Yes 300 without a bayonet, 200 with. It was SOP to fix bayonets at 200yds.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:05pm
Thanks so much Shamu. I should not have to fix bayonets as it is for white-tail hunting!😁
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:32pm
bayonet makes a great meat skewer....just sayin'!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 6:36am
In doing a little research on the Jungle Carbine, I saw ot mentioned it saw service in Europe for para's during Operation Market Garden in Holland. Has anyone heard this before? Also, has anyone seen pictures? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 7:20am
Yes its actually pretty well known that "Jungle Carbine" was a post-service marketing ploy by the dealers. AFAIK they were just "No5's" to the troops. They had as much service with airborne as they did with jungle troops.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 7:32am
I have never seen proof of the use of the #5 in Europe during the war I have learned that you never say never when talking about Enfield rifles. I think we would have to see  a photo of Monty crossing the Reine with a #5 in one hand.

I have owned two over the years one completely original 1945 with moderate accuracy that I was able to take two 100 pound + Ferrel pigs  years ago. Sadly it was stolen but replaced with a rather worn  and less accurate model of 1946 that I traded away for a nice 1950's un-issued #4 Mk2. then as we often believe only accurate rifles are interesting I was was allowed to shot a very accurate #5 on the Little Siberia Course at Bisley. My two warming shots were just touching an inch off center at 200 yards. I was smitten with desire for it was also chambered in 7.62X51. But this rifle belonged to the RO that day I was his badge along with a few other interesting rifles he let me have a go with.

If you are shopping a #5 I wish you good luck.

..............Thumbs Up...............
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 7:38am
There's this one,sitting an hour south of me. It's an original. Has all the proper lightening cuts in the receiver. The guy wants 300.00 bucks for it...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 7:39am
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 8:26am
There's several B&W images of Tommys in Holland with No5s.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/no-5-rifles-used-in-europe-1945.269568/

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 8:31am
I believe I will start calling it a No5. $300 sounds really, really reasonable. I just bought and will receive one from Wpg, (my Armed Forces and WW2 collecting nephew found it and checked it out) on Sunday. I paid $600, which for the condition it apparently is in, seemed right in line. Hoping I didn't get hosed!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 8:40am
$600 in Canada is a good asking price for a #5 in good condition with good rifling and all complete. I recently saw an un-issued #5 in mint condition sell for $1600 Cnd! here in BC. It came with the sling and bayonet w/scabbard and frog all un-issued.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 9:06am
Sounds good! Thanks Canuck! I had one years ago, sold it and instantly regretted it. Thought I better get another of this piece of history. (Nephew says it has the steel end cap on the lower stock and bolt knob is drilled out.) Says it's stamped 1945 England and etched on the receiver No5 Mk1. I'll know more when I get it in my greedy little hands!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 10:39am
For that price jump on it unless there's some terrible hidden defect.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 10:53am
Cheque cashed by previous owner, receive #5 on Sunday! At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I noticed the #5 on this thread with a scope. In my experience, (ouch) with factory butt stocks, a scoped Enfield can create a nice semi circle around your eye! Has any forum member ever put a walnut cheek piece on a #5? For that matter, does a #4 butt stock fit? I have a spare, and thinking install cheek piece on it for hunting with #5 with a scope.Thoughts?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 10:56am
It will fit, but is different internally so you'll have to also use a No4 bolt, sling setup & buttplate. I'd just put a Boyds buttstock on & call it good.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic