Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 2:50pm
That's a sweet looking #5 Shamu! Thanks for the info, as always.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 3:40pm
Awesome pictures Shamu! Makes me more excited to get my #5 this week!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 6:04pm
Shamu. May I ask what scope mounting system you used on that #5?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 5:29am
Its the S&K "InstaMount" with the proprietary rings not the Weaver rail. Its the lowest mount you can get which allows normal bolt manipulation & stripping. It attaches with 2 cross bolts using the existing rear sight pivot holes & a tapered wedge through the charger bridge. completely reversible & ND/NT fitting.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instamain.html

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 6:00am
When I had mine, I put a regular No 4 buttstock on it and it helped a lot with recoil.

Too noisy I reckoned.   These days that wouldn't matter!

Nice rifle Sham, and very neat scope mount.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 6:24am
Judging by the picture, am I correct in assuming flip up site removed. And that screw utilized? Is the other attachment point the ejector screw on the other side? Also, has anyone had anything to do with Addley Precision non-smith mounts? I believe a Canadian company, which would be nice for cross border shipping hassles. Their products look nice.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 8:41am
Not quite.
Yes you remove the existing rear sight its plunger & spring.
Then you put 2 separate bolts through the open holes & bolt them into threads in the mount. The original isn't threaded despite appearances externally.
Next the big bolt goes down through the rail & bolts into a threaded hole under the bridge in the wedge. This clamps everything together. The ejector screw is untouched.
Tip: Mark the wedge before removing it for installation, every side is different & they all look very similar.

This is actually my Parker-Hale from the No4 Mk2, but the attachment is identical. I think the S&K is a copy of the P-H.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 7:15am
That's a very nice and well made mount, Sham!  Where can they be found?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 7:28am
S&K have a website. I checked them out. Very nice products. I've inquired to them about if they can ship to Canada. I bought a smithless mount from Brownells in the States thru the mail with no issues. Maybe just scopes and mags the US won't send up.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

That's a very nice and well made mount, Sham!  Where can they be found?

The Parker_Hale is usually available from G.E. Fultons (Bisley) in the U.K. Its a bit longer & heavier.
http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/

The S&K is on the website listed above in  the U.S.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 5:29pm
ive owned two over the years - a very early BSA that i sold to a fellow collector , and a very late FAZ that i have retained , i had vintage bayonets for each , i did not pay that kind of money for either but id not part with mine for anything like that these days either , if i wanted to sell it , which i wont , 

grab it up and enjoy it , they are not that commonly available now , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 6:47am
Received my No5 yesterday! She's a beaut! Nephew knows what to look for. Buttery smooth action and awesome wood. Walnut? Was walnut available on these? Also, received an e-mail from S and K mounts. They ship to Canada no problem. Question for the group, would the S and K be a better mount for my sniper clone than the removable one I have from Brownells currently on it? Seems to be lower profile, but you need to remove the rear site. Thanks!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 7:49am
Yes walnut was used.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 8:14am
Its gong to depend on if you think you'll actually use the iron sights or not.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 10:46am
My normal inclination would be no. I usually bring a scopeless backup rifle while hunting, just in case.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 12:49pm
Then I'd go with the better scope mount & let the irons go.
I asked the question because for years I had both, sometimes getting both functional was the hardest part of the build. Then it dawned on me I never used the backup irons anyway!
it was truly a DUH! moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic