Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield Tuesday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield Tuesday
    Posted: January 23 2018 at 9:25am

Happy Tuesday people!!!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 9:33am
WOW factor 10!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 10:21am
Very nice!
Somewhere I have the plans for the transit chest if you're thinking of making one.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 10:41am
That would be extra cool to build one. I tried bidding on one on-line and gave up after the bid shot up to $1900.00.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 11:17am
That's a nice set Goosic. Is that rifle your replica build?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 11:50am
Here you go, print it out as an 8 1/2"X 11" & it should be nicely legible.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

That's a nice set Goosic. Is that rifle your replica build?

ZED,yes it...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 1:05pm
Thank you Shamu. Definitely appreciate this.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 3:51pm
What is the appropriate wood to use?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 3:56pm
From what I've seen,it's just plywood, unless someone else knows something else for certain.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 3:58pm
You guys are light years ahead of me in regards to knowledge, smithing, and reproducing sniper clones! My No4 Mk2 (all numbers matching) has a walnut cheek piece bought on EBay from England that looks good. My DAI scope mount from Brownells and an old Weaver 4x kinda looks really cheesy now. Me thinks I need to reconsider the direction I want to go.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 5:31pm
I'm a semi professional gunsmith honkytonk. I got my first Enfield when I was nine, forty one years ago. I worked for and apprenticed under a Steve Biesen,son to Al Biesen, master gunsmith. This one was the first Enfield I attempted to convert to a T rifle. Stared at the receiver for about two weeks on and off before I clamped it in my vice and started drilling holes into the side of it. There's alot that actually goes into doing this. Proper set up of the scope once it's in place and properly bedding the stock to keep the accuracy. All the contact points on the trigger,sear,and cocking piece have been diamond polished for a cleaner and crisper pull off. I will not be doing this again anytime soon,that's for certain...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

From what I've seen,it's just plywood, unless someone else knows something else for certain.

I would imagine it would be the same type of wood as the wood crates they shipped Enfield rifles in.
A while back, Dennis Walker had 5 or 6 original shipping crates tossed out back of his place. I took all the measurements, & pics & forwarded them to someone on the forum. This showed the way they stored the rifles, bayos etc. all in one crate.

Looking at your schematics, it seems to have been assembled with the same woods & the same manner (ie: dovetails etc.)

If that is the case - I would recommend the slats from pallets. They would be the right wood & thickness (thereabouts). Plus its inexpensive,readily available, unstaines etc.

give it a go.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 7:40pm
I was just looking at some images off the internet. It's definitely solid wood,not plywood. I've definitely got the required wood to do this.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 8:48pm
Pallets in the U.S. are usually Poplar or (the cheaper ones) pine  sometimes the edge boards are a low grade oak for durability
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 3:34am
I was lucky in that my rifle came in its case. Unfortunately, I'm not much good at identifying wood types, but can provide details for those who can. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic