Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

22lr SMLE sight holes he!!o new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi-go-a-go-go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22lr SMLE sight holes he!!o new member
    Posted: January 30 2018 at 9:45am
Hi Everyone

New member here from North Yorkshire 
Just managed to bag a nice 22lr SMLE seems to fire good and true .
Interested in peoples opinions on which sight the holes that are drilled would be for.
Cheerho

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 6:45pm
nice rifle , i must defer to the gurus of sights for your info , but what model of 22 trainer , i love hearing of these from those with similar interest 

oh and welcome to the forum , i got distracted by your very nice 22 enfield , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 11:27pm
Appears to still have the original .303 wrist markings. Normally it would have had the .22 conversion info stamped there as well. No2MkVI* for example.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Mi-go-a-go-go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi-go-a-go-go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 1:00am
As yet i am not entirely sure which model it is. If indeed it is a 'original' conversion. I have a feeling it may be a later conversion possibly someones favorite 303 that was worn out and converted to .22 instead of either deac or re barrel. 

Unfortunate guns don't come with a history file ...... 

he!!o and thanks for the welcome
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 8:37am
NOT a P-H they used existing tapped holes.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 5:09pm
Welcome aboard.
I'm originally from Northallerton.

A lot of the aftermarket peep sights are designed to mount on the flat right hand side of the receiver. Yours is on the left so it makes the choice limited.

Lyman made a sight that would mount on the left on two holes like that. The old steel Model 66 or similar?

There is also the Williams 5D Series receiver sights that mount up on similar holes with a version that sits on the left. There is a left hand side mount Williams 'FoolProof' sight too I believe.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 6:45pm
as the mkIII* it would now be a no2 mkIV* i believe , check the left side for conversion markings they sometimes marked them there , also let us know if the barrel is a 22 or lined and whayt markings it might have , looks real nice , 

i was going to suggest the lyman sight as a possibility , i think it aftermarket but im far from a sight guy , i enjoy them i just dont know much of them , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi-go-a-go-go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 11:52am

). Just been out with it today and it's shooting good. Doesn't like Winchester subs though they jam in the breech after shooting. Fine on the various CCI. I have in.
As it condition it's definitely been looked after but lots of repairs to the stock. All done well though.
I have the impression with it that it's a well loved full bore which has been privately converted to small bore (possibly it wore down the gauge). It is indeed a insert.
It's great. I had been on the lookout for a SMLE or a war office trainer for a while but everything was miles away
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 9:47am
Judging by the proof marking style, this old war horse was sold onto the civilian market post 1954.

Right in there with the proof marks on the left hand side of the barrel reinforce, there will be one symbol that is a date code. It is a small marking of crossed flags with tiny letters in the left and right quadrants. Identify the letters and we can tell you exact year of proof. 

It is in your pic but out of focus when enlarged.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi-go-a-go-go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 3:26pm
Don't think we are going to have much luck here as I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and still can't quite make them out. Looks like a really.light strike
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:14pm
If you have empty cases jamming in the chamber after firing; check to see if there is a burr on the edge of the chamber opposite the firing pin. On my No2MkIV* I had serious extraction problems when I first got it. I believe it had been dry fired; which is a bad idea as it can peen the edge of the chamber. I had to remove the burr to get trouble free extraction. You can test by colouring a case with permanent marker before shooting. Extract it carefully and see where the colour is rubbed of to identify any tight spots.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 12:54pm
Mi-go-a-go-go: try rubbing a little bit of chalk or powder on it.
That may give you a better view
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 1:31pm
Also try by a window without the on camera flash, the softer glancing light can sometimes be a big help.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic