Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First reloads for MK1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCB1917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First reloads for MK1
    Posted: January 31 2018 at 4:30am
This photo was posted elsewhere but it might have been better suited here. Favorite pwder R15 shown its potential along with SMK's. I haven't owned the Enfield that long so still getting familiar with it. 100 yd work next. up.
"Extremism In Defense Of Liberty Is No Vice"
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 7:01pm
winner winner chicken dinner .........nice shooting with a vintage rifle 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 4:04am
Looks like you've got the load sorted nicely. Do you have any info on what velocity that load is running?
Also have you tried more rounds in a short space of time; such as in a competition type environment.
i.e. 10 shots in 5 minutes, then 10 shot's in 3 minutes with maybe 5 to 10 minutes between?
I ask this; because my No1 rifle shoots good groups; but the evlevation seems to shift when it gets warmed up. I would be interested to know if you find the same with your rifle?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 6:59am
Very nice group!

What rifle was it shot with?

I ask as a Mk 1 can be a No 4, Or a Mk 1 Long Lee.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 10:57am
Good point Pukka! I was thinking No1 mkIII because I did not read it properly!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
RCB1917 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCB1917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 4:45pm
So SMLE III*, 1918. No velocity yet, had the chronograph but only one tripod with me and I used that on the spotting scope. I've only owned it for about a month, and it's been to the range three times. But it's out shooting my '39 mauser, a garand, and 3 nagants. Only one that is just as tight is an 1942 Arisaka that has a nice chrome bore. Also all my shooting is slow and the rifle is fired from a large very heavy Bullsbag filled with sand on a platform. Here is the Arisaka on my setup.

"Extremism In Defense Of Liberty Is No Vice"
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 6:17pm
About time I join this forum.

I also load the 174 gr SMK with Re 15 and have had good results. A lot of variation in published max charge weight data; and for years had been loading with 43 gr. After shooting a few thousand rounds, I chrono'ed the load at over 2570 fps my No. 4 (BSA barrel with 0.3035 bore/0.314 groove dia). That made me a bit nervous, so I've since been loading at 40 gr. I think the accuracy was actually a bit better with the 43 gr loads, but the 40 gr load is easier on the cases, rifle, shoulder and face.

The No. 4 with this load will easily hold the 10 ring on the SR 200 target; prone slow and prone rapid, if I'm not having a bad day. Also can shoot a clean MR target at 600 with it (2 MOA 10 ring). A tough load to beat.

I'd like to hear what charge weights of Re 15 with 174 SMK others have used. I'm using Canadian surplus Mk VIIz brass (DI and DAC), neck sizing only.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic