Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

..........TGIF........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ..........TGIF........
    Posted: February 09 2018 at 10:56am
Back on subject.

1943 M47

..........Smile..........

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 2:32pm
MJ11... Looks good! I'm assuming to mount even a repo scope and pads takes a pretty good gunsmith. I assume the pads aren't just drilled, tapped, and Bob's your Uncle??
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

MJ11... Looks good! I'm assuming to mount even a repo scope and pads takes a pretty good gunsmith. I assume the pads aren't just drilled, tapped, and Bob's your Uncle??

There is a fine art to it Honkytonk.
This is reproduction and it was a massive b@#&h to get it set up properly...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 3:54pm
The 1943 MC47 is original T as are the bracket and scope.

The cheek rest is reproduction from Roger Payne from the late 90's someone took the original off the rifle for some reason before it came to me. The screw holes were in the stock and as always Roger's rest matched up with the hols perfectly. This is  one of the best shooting rifle I have.

................Wacko.............
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 7:09am
Ah but does it shoot ?  Cool

.............Wink..............
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 7:16am
Very nice group. What bullet were you using?
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 7:56am

Very nice group. What bullet were you using?

For under 300 yards I use the 150g Sierra Game KIng. A flat base soft point over IRM 4895. Remember these are not 100 yard target rifles and don't really lay down till 300 plus yards.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 8:27am
That's the exact combo I use for deer. 42 grs of powder. I had experimented quite a bit with powder amounts and this one was the most accurate in my rifle.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 8:58am
This round performs in almost all my rifles and I try too keep a box of fifty on hand at all times for the short course. I would have to look at my log but I'm sure I don't go over 43g with commercial brass.

Over 300 yards I go to the 174g Match King and IMR 4064 and have splendid accuracy to 500 yards on 10"X16"X 1/4" steel plates. Plus the return sound of a hit is like music.

................Beer..............
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 12:21pm
MJ11, I'll understand if the response would be lengthy, but what is the biggest issue(s) with mounting the repo sniper scope mounts? Do they require shimming? I suspect there is a lot of installing, testing at the range, tweaking. Just curious as someday I'd like to replace my DAI mount and 2.5 Weaver (thought it looked not bad until I joined this forum!!!😁) with a setup like you and the majority of members have. Thanks.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 3:30pm

MJ11, I'll understand if the response would be lengthy, but what is the biggest issue(s) with mounting the repo sniper scope mounts? Do they require shimming? I suspect there is a lot of installing, testing at the range, tweaking. Just curious as someday I'd like to replace my DAI mount and 2.5 Weaver (thought it looked not bad until I joined this forum!!!😁) with a setup like you and the majority of members have. Thanks.

Honestly I have no idea having never gone down that road.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 4:13pm
Oops! It was Goosic that responded to my question on difficulty. Goosic, could you elaborate a bit on the biggest issues you found mounting said above scope? Thanks.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 4:58pm
Just the opposite Honkytonk. You might have to file and sand the pads down a bit to achieve the zero p.o.a. once the scope has been mounted. The hardest part was drilling into the receiver,and then tapping the holes. That is the most tedious part of the process.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 5:59pm
Difficult drilling as in hard steel? Sorry for all the questions. I'm very interested in aquiring one. Just don't know how to get one in Canada.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 7:10pm
Very hard steel. You might have to use a micro torch to spot soften the area you intend to drill into.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 7:19pm
Thanks for the info, Goosic. Beginning to sound quite a bit out of my league!! There is a place in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada, Lee Enfield Restorations, I've e-mailed for information. Has any forum members heard of these guys? Web page looks impressive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic