Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project Custom No4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project Custom No4
    Posted: March 04 2018 at 7:22pm
I have a new project to complete. I went through all my parts and found this stuff. Did some online research and found a receiver so,this will be fun.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 9:45pm
5 round magazine, PH scope mount and RAHS rings, sniper front sling mount....Looks promising it does. A Parker Hale style sporting rifle
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 4:12pm
The stock in the padded box is what was the start of my rifle!

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 7:22pm
The following photos are not for the faint of heart.
I cut the barrel down to 22" and recrowned it, removed the charging bridge,and the rear sight ears. Drilled and tapped three holes into the side of the receiver for the Parker Hale scope mount. The receiver is a Mk2 so I'm using my Fagen stock since it's already set up for a Mk2. I used Brownells Oxpho-Blue liquid gun blue and added my flush mount five round magazine to top everything off. I'll post the finalized rifle pics tomorrow...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:13pm
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 4:15am
Nice work!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 6:32am

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 8:51am
Looks great, nice job!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:07am
Looks awesome! Is that cold bluing very durable? I suspect it's come a long way since Birchwood Casey blue paste. I used to get stuff from Brownells in a jug. I made a homemade tray out of roof gutter. I believe you prepped the steel, degreased and put it in the liquid. It was diluted with water. Worked good but can't remember the name.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:56am
I removing material from the receiver such as the charger bridge; do proof the rifle again before using it?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 1:28pm
This is the third rifle I've done this to Zed and I've never had to reproof it. The charging bridge is just that, a bridge to aide in loading the rifle,nothing more. Look at an actual Parker Hale and look at the amount of metal removed and yet they're still proofed at 18.5 tons. I follow the same procedure Parker Hale did. I originally used my dad's Supreme No4 as a guideline. Made all my marks on transfer paper, etched it onto my rifle and made the cuts. The gunsmith I apprenticed under when I was doing my first one had stated that the actual stressed component is the locking lugs on the bolt but due to the low pressure of the round and the gas check,no issues should arise. And then he said this. Think of it like this. You see them British Sniper rifles? They have a scope mount on them but the side of the receiver has five small holes in it and one big one right? Well then,even though there are screws in those holes, they're still holes. The weakest part of the receiver has just became the area between the holes were stress cracks can be created. If your worried about a structural failure of the receiver after cutting the top off of it. Take a micrometer and measure the distance between the area were the bolt entered into. Fire a round and measure again. Do the same thing to the rail the bolt slides on. If there is a noticable size increase. The master component,(receiver)is going to fail. So the long and short of it Zed,no,to answer your question.Parker Hale and Golden State Arms,and Gibbs all did it. If you're smart about it and take the time to do it right the first time you never have to worry about your craftsmanship when sporterizing a rifle...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 2:02pm
One thing I learned from work is never cut 90 degree angles in steel that will see pressure. It needs rounded corners (or a circle) to prevent stress cracking. I suspect this holds true with holes drilled for scopes. Stress cracks on small holes are probably rare.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 4:45pm
well , thats quite a project , hope you start with buckets of parts on these rather than a good military example , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 4:51pm
I've only ever done that to one rifle. That was decades ago. It turned out quite well but,never again.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 5:28pm
A Square.
I just thought of something. I butchered a perfectly decent BSA No4 by drilling and tapping into the side of the receiver and mounting a reproduction sniper scope and mount,and then screwing a reproduction sniper cheek piece on to it. That, fortunately for me,turned out quite nicely...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 7:13pm
they are yours , im not really casting any rocks here , it was a really common practice with 5-10 dollar rifles found in barrels at every hardware store in the country back then , my dad bought a couple - wish he had bought more , 

sometimes - not often , i wish i could pick through those barrels for what im missing , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic