Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question to the Empire..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 8:39pm
I dunno, Honks.

I have seen a lot of photos, more recent ones, and they often have Something on their barrel. It seems they're shooting with it on, so not just a sock...Never saw anything like that years ago.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 8:40pm
i rather liked the black sweater and long blond hair but then i do tend to get distracted by sparkly things these days , 

i had thought that the roe deer was the norm , my eyes have been opened , in more ways than one , but then im not likely to be making a hunting trip to the motherland - scotland any time soon , as much as i would love to do so i fear my trips in the future revolve around grand babies and children that have strayed from the nest [never to return i might add] 

and the wayward 'cowboy shoots' in neighboring states that have become a tradition , 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 8:47pm
A Square,   Do you have any good recipes for cowboys?   :-)
Roe stalking is popular as well, but more lowland and bush/mixed farming country.

Here's a couple of these rifles that I never saw years ago.
If these Are suppressors, they're perfectly legal over there. I know that much.  How well they work (if that's what they are)  on a full -bore rifle I can not say.  Maybe dampers??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:45pm
Few more pictures;
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:54pm
ya hey - we have lotsa good cowboy bar-B-que here , most every shoot thers a great BBQ after , 

that said , my "cowboy" shooting is mostly all steel , sometimes a clay popper but not often so no - we dont cook what we shoot , but we do shoot it up good , and what gets cooked is generally great meat - probably beef or pork , sometimes a bit of deer and pheasant/quail/grouse but  always tasty , you should join us , we are a welcoming bunch , we even loan out guns to those that dont have them , i have more than one set and plenty of ammo , 

hunting /stalking im not so into any more as i no longer wish to clean what i kill , if i have to in the future i will - i have and can again, i choose not to these days - same with fishing , i have and can but choose catch and release these days , im old , i dont want to go to the effort unless i need to , 

i do not - repeat do not - want anyone else to refrain , please reap the rewards he earth has to offer , kill every deer in my neighborhood so i never hit one with my car again in this lifetime , 

im not anti-hunting in any way , i would gladly shoot em if you want to clean em , whatever it is , just sayin .............................
Ranch Dog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 4:54am
I saw a program on the "real" Downton Abby, Highclere Castle and what it took to operate it. Hunting is a large part of their income, and they had five or six species of deer. They hunted from blinds and drives as I recall, and the gamekeeper was interviewed on the program. I think the property was about 5K acres. I did a search, but all I could come up with was a mention of upland bird hunting.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 5:35am
Well, if "stalking" over there includes those lovlies as my guides...I.M GOIN!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 6:00am
Well, now that cats out of the bag, I was going to say "nice rack! And the deer has a nice said of horns!"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 6:44am
Supposedly suppressed rifles are becoming the norm in the U.K. & Scotland from what I've heard. Mainly the attractions are lack of need for hearing protection & changed firing signature doesn't spook other animals close by.
Suppressors don't have the "evil gangster" image there as they do here. I was in one range (indoor) in town where they were required because of noise abatement laws.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 7:32am
Sham,

Are these suppressors in the above photos?  Never saw any of these years back, but if they are, they make sense!

The lady in the last picture above, is Scotland's first female ghillie.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 9:37am
There is a new range at Silverstone (not far from the race circuit) and they demand noise suppressors on full bore rifles because of planning laws.
I was going to hire the range for my Club but as I don't know how to screw one on the front of an SMLE I didn't bother.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 1:56pm
I think so, even the first image you can see the opening in the front if you stare enough. At first I thought it was a double-barreled rifle.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 3:11pm
Those animals look to be the size of a small elk (Us and Canadian name). About 300# gutted? Does the hills they live in make the meat tough? Buddy shot a billy mountain goat in British Columbia Canada last year. Taste was awesome, even the backstraps after 8hrs in the crock pot it was extremely tough. But in my mind, that's why we were born carnivores with teeth!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 5:40pm
"The lady in the last picture above, is Scotland's first female ghillie."
How's that sitting with the older male Ghillies?

I was privileged to do a training course in the highlands with a Ghillie! 4 days & I swear the man only spoke a dozen words. Mostly he led you to something interesting & then just waited for you to figure out what & where it was.

Red deer are elk-ish, but siki are tiny, like big dogs with antlers.

The U.K. tends to eat more of the deer than the U.S. Organ meats are frequently used for dishes also. Google recipes for "Umble Pie" (NOT "Humble"). We had a nuisance deer hunt in Surrey back in the 70's & I got a Siki with a motorcycle boot! The gardener on the estate where I was staying made one while I did the venison backstraps & haunches. It was delicious! We fed about a dozen teenage students who were also living there.

Linky:
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/umbleornumblepie.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 8:46pm
Sham,

Do you mean Sika deer?  They are a bit like a shrunken red, are they not?  The Roe is very small, and as I never saw a Sika in the flesh, I thought the latter were larger.  ?
Quite right about eating more of it than is often the case over here, and No making it into unrecognisable stuff with pepperoni flavouring!!

Re. Portia,

I think if she is up to the job, as she definitely is, they will be quite charmed.  It would not hurt my feelings to work alongside her!

Muntjack (spelling maybe) are funny little blokes with vampire type tusks.

For those interested and unused to seeing them, here are some photos of GB's second largest deer.  They are not indigenous, but apparently the Romans brought them over to the island more than 2,000 years ago. 

Fallow deer.

They come normally spotted, but there are still pure herds of black going back to the ancient forests of Arden, and also some herds of white Fallow.  See pictures.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 5:46am
WOW! Moose antlers on dogs!!
They gotta be front heavy.

Problem here is that the spread of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) is spreading, and we are constantly being advised not to eat most organ meats.
(But my heart reciepe hasn't been affected.. )
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic