Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

did a little reminiscing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did a little reminiscing
    Posted: March 10 2018 at 8:04pm
as i was watchin the history channel , a bit of cross connection going on , i was watchin the episode about boonsboro attack and thinkin on my kentucky rifle , here is a link to its beginnings and its ending here , 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 4:24am
I remember that. Have you fired it much? I have never seen you mention how it shoots.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 8:15am
All I get is the dreaded Photobucket "up yours" speedometer?

Boonsboro, MD, or KY? I live about 4 minutes from the MD one.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:01pm
ah - sorry bout that - on that site they are clear as can be , ill upload a couple shots i have saved , its a wonderful rifle wish it was not a single shot and so long to load , 

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:10pm
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:35pm
A square,

The more you fire it, the quicker it'll get to reload, and the shorter it'll seem.

V nice rifle!

Here's one I made for my son some years ago; 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 7:36pm
im certain you are correct - i suspect it might get routine when one gets the feel for it , but this is not the one i shoot much , i have so many others that deserve their time at the range and this one is so much extra work , the nifty part of it is that i can make everything i need o shoot it right here in the kitchen if the need arises , and this one will put that 50 cal ball in a nice neat tight group if oone takes care to aim , 

in my mind this transcends the history of our second amendment back to its origins when the british tried to use the indigenous natives to fight us , we found our way , we will continue to do so , 

because we need to stand or fall , falling is not really an option in our mind , certainly not willingly , these are a fall back , i wonder how many of these there are on walls across this country , i see two here - i know the guy that made mine made a lot more and he was not the only one making them in our lifetime , mine spans prop planes to moon landings - how about yours ? 

i missed originally that you were in canada - sorry bout that ,
really fine looking rifle there , its got the look, these are a bit of history to be sure , 

i realise a lot of the attacks in the early times came from there but we are no longer in an adversarial position , there are folks here that shoot these regularly in sport and competition , reenactments and for entertainment , but they are folks that understand this may be a throwback but it can also be the forward guard should situation demand , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 7:06am
A Square,

Your last line had me thinking.
Yes, it is good to be able to manage with 18th C stuff.

A girl I know , and who is interested in "Preparedness", as in for when SHTF, so to speak, asked If I had given any thought to being prepared for such breakdown;
My reply was  that having an interest in history, and understanding and being able to use skills from a past age, are probably the best preparations we could have for such times.

If we can make fire, build shelters, hunt with archaic stuff, all without a mobile phone, then we are on the way.  :-)

On this self reliance thing, which the early frontiersmen had forced upon them, I wondered after a build or two, if I could make my own rifle, for if push came to shove.
Also, our government, (If you can call it that!) was thinking of registering all firearms Except antiques, so I thought I'd make an "antique"  to try it out;

I bought a lock, as it is important to get that bit right!  and apart from the small screws in the patch box, made the rest out of junk we had here on the farm.  barrel was 3X pipe, drawn, not seam welded.  I fine -bored and rifles it in 18th C manner.   Put flats on by hand and swamped it.
Plank came up from Suzy Biccio, in Arkansas.  (this was about the year 1999-2,000.)

Here it is.  Yes, it shoots V well.  Only a .44 .
Has claimed w-tails and muleys though.

When I made this one, I got a lot of satisfaction, knowing I can never be totally dis-armed, if you know what I mean...
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 7:21am
You do fine work Sir. Great looking rifle. I have percussion muzzleloaders in 36, 45, and 54 caliber. Just in case.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 4:46am
Pleased you like it, Oldhand.   :-)

I only have one percussion rifle, a chopped P '53 Enfield, plus the odd perc. shotgun..
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 5:48am
I still have a Thompson Renegade percussion cap 50 cal. Left hand model. The one and only black powder rifle I own. It has shot a lot of venison. I still use Goerx black powder, 90 grs and a 410 gr Buffalo bullet.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 6:16am
I found an unfired, unassembled  .50 Hawken percussion carbine (24"Bbl), which I was a bit dubious about as b/p is supposed to need a long barrel to be good. My b/p expert buddy said "GET IT"! so I did.  I really like it its so handy in the woods here. All I did was add a ladder peep (which you may recognize) & a flash cup!

Yup! its one of those "Sarco windage adjustable Lee Enfield sights" that don't fit Lee Enfields. The flat base was perfect for the job. I set it up so that it was co-witnessed with the original open sights for 100yds.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 6:38am
Hawken makes very accurate B/P rifles. (Take the wings off a fly @ 50 yds!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:29am
Do you mean the muzzle flare burns them off???
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:34am
Shamu. Almost identical looking to my Renegade. Luv that rifle!
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 12:31pm
I also picked up a single barrel 28 ga percussion shotgun you can also use as a 54 call smoothbore. Like that vernier sight. Oldhand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic