Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new member, moderate time fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catscratcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member, moderate time fan
    Posted: March 11 2018 at 12:01am
I have only seen two enfield rifles in 30 years. just two. One was owned by a relative, and I wasn't allowed to see it for more then a few minutes when that relative sold it to someone.

Second time in a gun store, I think it was a Mitche!!s mausers item, it was in need of restoration. Wood needed a refinish and the metal needed help. The barrel had no visible rifling whatsoever. I admit it could have been rusted out or simply full of TAR, but it wasn't "right". I think they wanted 900$ for it.

As a result I have become interested in owning own, thought the 22 trainer would be interesting, but they cost much much more then a regular beater enfield its not funny.

I cried myself to sleep the day I received the classic arms email announcing they had a batch of "demilled" enfields arrive. Turns out they were simply the welded firing pin variety that any drunken monkey can get back to firing condition in a few hours.
   Cried I got the announcement email 3 days after the sale ended.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 6:22pm
welcome , we are gald you have joined us - you will find here that your past experience is not the norm , there are a lot of enfieds out there in all states or disrepair and completion , as well as sported models that offer hunters execelent options , 

i agree the demils make me sad , its why we save what we can get our hands on today , the original 303s are super rifles , the 22 cal trainers are as well , but yes the prices have gone a bit batty - look a lot buy carefully , ask questions here or of those you trust that are knowledgeable , dont go foolishly forward without information , it might take a little time to research what you are buying but it is always worth it in the savings of a misstaken buy  , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 4:28am
Welcome to the forum.  I see No. 1 and No. 4 rifles fairly regularly at gun shows in the SE US.  Most are a bit beat up, some chopped up.  Considering how many were made, I'm surprised we don't see more of them.  I don't know how many were brought into the US either, but they were very cheap at one time...those times are gone.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 5:40am
That rifle you saw with the smooth-bore barrel might have been the .410 shotgun conversion.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 7:03am
Welcome!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 7:17am
Welcome.  Lots of good information here.

Yup the price has gone up considerably.   Trench stakes are going for the same price as a new economy rifle like a Savage Axis.   They were so cheap once,  I paid less than $30 for one back in the early 70's at Sears.  As a result they were seen as pretty utilitarian and treated as such.  Real collector's ones in very good condition are now all well over $1,000 with some in the $2,000 range.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 8:48am
If you shop round a bit yo should still find decent .303  ones for $450~550 or so depending on your location. .22 trainers are rarer & so more expensive.
You could even buy a .22 conversion kit  & use it in a .303 & have both!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 1:00pm
Anyone know what a excellent condition No. 7 rifle would go for in the US?  Dad still has one...
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Anyone know what a excellent condition No. 7 rifle would go for in the US?  Dad still has one...

Without knowing condition hard to estimate but here is one example.

http://www.icollector.com/Excellent-Canadian-Long-Branch-No-7-Mk-I-22-Training-Rifle-with-Transit-Chest_i17060913
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 6:22am
Without a chest that would drop a bit but probably still in the $1500.oo range
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:32am
How tough are those .22 conversion kits to install?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 8:23am
These are never fitted so there's a little individual finishing required. No more than swapping a bolt & head type of thing. After that is just gets greased slid in the nut tightened & the new bolt assembly swapped out.
Oh & remove the magazine spring & follower, the empty she!! acts as a brass trash can.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic