Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old old press

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old old press
    Posted: March 13 2018 at 9:58am
I had been out of reloading for several years. A while back, I mentioned I used an old Dillion. After setting it up again, I realized it's actually a Bair 130. My brother in law gave it to me 25 years ago after loading thousands of .45 ACP and .357's. I've loaded lots and it's still going strong!
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 12:25pm
That's cool,. I use an old RCBS Rock Chucker. Takes about an hour for 50 rounds, but they all go bang. Oldhand
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 2:05pm
Funny story. Three years I picked up an RCBS Rock Chukker, 30-06 dies, oodles of the same brass, she!! holders, primer plastic discs, RCBS hand primer, about 500 various 30 cal bullets, etc. from a guy at work for $40. I don't shoot 30-06. Sold dies, hand primer, etc on-line for $200. Buddy wanted to get back into reloading. Guess what? He had picked up the same stuff 10 years ago! It was his! He had sold the same batch of stuff for $300. He now shoots 308 and 300 Mag. I had kept the 30 cal bullets, so Karma said to me give him the press and everything else that wasn't .303. this world is weird... I still use my old CB 130 press.
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 6:34am
Nice of you to give him back his old stuff. The good we do will be remembered.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 3:44pm
ive got a rock chucker for my 4570 and a single stage lyman turret for my 45colts , a hornady 366 for the shot she!!s , 
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 6:52pm
A bit off topic but "old" has its own intrinsic value.   I once bought a wooden joiner plane at one of those farm flea sales.  It had an elm wood body and was obviously home made.  When I got it home I cleaned it up and sharpened the blade and adjusted the iron.  I took out a four foot piece of straight clear pine and started to shave the edge.  I was thinking how many hands had done the same thing since the original owner had made it for his own use.  Inanimate objects don't have a memory but they sure have a history.  Old guns have that mystique and that's why I will buy them.  I never really feel I own them, just the latest person to have them.  When I pass they will hopefully will go on to another and so on. 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 12:33am
When I was dealing in classic guns, particularly Pistols. I used the wonder who would be handling them after I had long gone.
Unfortunately the answer was NOBODY as most cartridge pistols were destroyed in 1998/99 here in the UK.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 5:15am
I've got two 1950's Tru-Line Junior presses.  They use the Lyman 310 dies with 5/8-30 thread.  One was my Dad's, the other belonged to his shooting partner.  They are a neat little press and I loaded a lot of .303 on this press until I went to the 7/8-14 thread collet neck sizing die.  They are great for loading pistol cartridges, next best thing to a progressive press.

I wonder the same thing about who have these old rifles I been issued to?  What action did they see? If only they could talk.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic