Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wood stock question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood stock question...
    Posted: March 15 2018 at 11:23am
Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. Buddy has a really nice walnut stock from a P17 (I believe that is the US 30/06). Would that stock fit a P14 (.303B) action and barrel? Thanks!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 5:51pm
the Model 1917 is not the same [although it looks it and they are related] the 3006 is a longer cartridge so you will have issues at the mag well and such , they may well be adaptable to a pattern 1914 but not without effort , it does not work at all in reverse , best to seek out the proper stock 

there were later stocks made for the pattern 1914 during the weedon refurb that will work just fine , they were made in scotland at that time they do not have the volley cuts and so forth , 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 6:04pm
Thanks A Square. I was looking to add something to the litter in .303B. I was checking out prices for an SMLE or Lee Enfield .23 in Canada. Both models have pretty healthy price tags, but that's what the market can bear, I guess.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 8:56am
Wasn't there also some difference between makers as well, or was that just the M1917?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 4:37pm
the british P1914 contract had no requirement for interchangeabiliy but the three made them to the same design spec so i would think a little hand fitting might get it , the eddystones stock was called the fatboy because of its pronounced wood in the magazine area , the scottish stocks were made for weedon refurb and should work fine on all three , 

the US M1917 contracts required interchangeability , there were some slight differences in the grasping grooves , but overall they should interchange with little to no effort , 
winchester had issues getting things to work at first but eventually got it done - it was not the stocks that were the problem with their rifles , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic