Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Political
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canada: Changes to Gun Laws

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canada: Changes to Gun Laws
    Posted: March 20 2018 at 2:02pm
The legislation introduced today will do little to stem gang use of firearms but the Liberals had to throw some bones out there for their constituents.  Background checks will now cover your lifetime not the last five years.  For practical purposes we are really talking from your teens but this is going to make new applications and your next renewal take a long time.   The recent five month extension to license expiration must have been made to allow the more in depth checks for renewals already in the system.  I submitted mine on Jan 8 and am still waiting.  Last time I checked it was out to the Chief Firearms Officer for the province. Authority to transport will be hauled back to approved ranges and clubs for restricted firearms.  While not a biggy, your local retail dealer will have to record sales and maintain records for 20 years.  If you sell a firearm you are already required to confirm the buyer has the necessary license but there is no provision requiring you to keep a record.  To be safe I suggest you do as a matter of course.  Sell a gun to someone who uses it in a crime and didn't have the required license and you could be facing a lawsuit if it is traced back to you. Ask for their PAL and phone the Firearms Centre to check it is genuine and still valid.   The RCMP will go back to deciding which firearms fall into the three classes, non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

It could have been worse as I know the government was being pressed hard to ban all semi-auto rifles, some semi-shotguns and put in place even more restrictive policies on ownership and transport.   We are really lucky as the school shooting controversy that is taking place in the USA is creating even more public angst up here.  God forbid that some nut spurred on by the publicity given the shooters doesn't decide to copycat to gain equal infamy.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 2:17pm
Macd.. my initial response was to spin my head around!! I've been following this story for a few weeks. It is a knee jerk reaction to the upturn on gang related shootings in Canada, of course mainly in Vancouver and Toronto. As all Liberals do, they then persecute the law abiding gun owners because they won't/can't deal with the root cause, drugs and gangs. Might upset minorities, and the voting base for Liberals. Like the last Liberal cause to make Canada safer (long gun registration, etc.) This so will pass when we get rid of the ass clown PM and elect a Conservative govt that addresses crime, not you and me. My apologizes to the forum for being outspoken on this issue, but it is near and dear to my heart as it is with the majority of people in my home province of Manitoba. Thank you.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 5:04pm
i was just reading of this , sounds ominous 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 6:05pm
A SQ: Your right..Its the "crack in the door" so to speak. Just wait..the more firearm violence performed on schools Stateside, will result in more restrictions / reclassifications here.
The RCMP already has a list - a long list - of firearms they want taken out. The SKS is at the top of the list!

Macd - you refer to "your province" but we don't know what province that is..
Loose wimmen tightened here
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:05am
Newfoundland and Labrador
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:42am
I would love to visit the east coast! Here on the prairies, our response to Trudeau's gun legislation is "been there, done that, doesn't work." In our minds, all he's done is make a nother rallying point to get rid of him. Like when Liveral Chretien got booted by a campaign by Conservatives to repeal the Long Gun Registry. History does repeat itself.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:42am
Bergs, bergy-bits & growlers.

I envy your access to really good seafood!

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 7:31am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Bergs, bergy-bits & growlers.

I envy your access to really good seafood!

Speaking of great seafood !!   That Oyster soup I made at Deer camp this past season was a hit! Liked by all !!!!
  Hoadie hooked me up with some fresh shucked oysters from a buddy of his he does business with !!  I was shocked that they were fresh!  as when I spoke with Hoadie about getting some he didnt sound to sure of getting fresh ones !!!!  But he came through with flying colors !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 8:10am
Care to share the recipe?
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Care to share the recipe?

Oysters of course , onions,celery, garlic, Butter and milk , salt and pepper to taste !

I used 4+ cups of raw oysters, 2 sticks of butter, 2 onions and celery, around the same amount of celery to onions , this can be up to you, saute' some of the butter onions celery and black peeper down to almost how you like your onions, then add the fresh oysters and their liquor/juice ,soon as they curl, add milk, I used about a quart and a half with another stick of butter, shut off right when it wants to start to boil. serve !!!
You can reduce the amount of milk if you want more of the oyster taste or add more oysters !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 1:21pm
Sounds awesome. I will try it!
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 6:59pm
Back on topic Wink.

I spoke to a fellow shooter today who had a visit from the local constabulary.  He has both restricted and prohibited registered handguns as well he has collector status  Seems they had a list of them all and asked to see them.  They went off with two for further inspection.  One had a mismatch between the frame and barrel/slide serial numbers.  Somehow the gun was registered using the latter rather than the former  The frame is what is considered the firearm so technically the registration is wrong.  We are talking a Wather P38 WWII vintage.  The second was simply a administrative error on a very old revolver.  It was registered correctly but somehow the calibre was typed in wrong.  It was something like 32 S&W and 32 Long Colt although I really didn't catch the calibres.  This is the second person I have heard having been inspected.   The other was in Ontario.  I am wondering if, given the delay in my own license renewal being processed, if this is a planned program by the feds.   Everything I have is properly registered and secured.  Going to ensure the two revolvers that I have with two different cylinders for each have the cylinder calibre that matches the barrel.  While I respect our police I can't rely on their firearms knowledge.  They will simply impound for up to 90 days anything they see out of place.  Hopefully I am just being paranoid.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 4:25am
I did here of a case in the UK a few years back where the local constabulary paid an inspection visit to a licenced gun owner. Unfortunately only the owners wife was at home. She obliged and got the keys and opened the safe. The police confiscated the weapons because she had access to the firearms but was not the titled owner.
Not sure how that turned out; or if the guns were returned. Certainly worth considering if your being checked though!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 4:42am
Zed:

We had a similar situation a few years back. We were warned thru our local sporting clubs, that if your wife or kids "oblige" the police in an inspection scenario - & they aren't licenced themselves - your in for a whole peck o' trouble.
Care & control of firearms by unlicenced individuals means confiscation & fines along with possible jail time.
It DID happen here...a few times.

Then, a couple years back when there was severe flooding out west people were evacuated. The police came by & broke into homes saying they were looking for "stranded individuals". In actuality, they were targeting homes that had their firearms listed in the long gun registry. The owners would have moved the firearms to upper floors to protect them. The police seized them for themselves. Many people sued. It went to court. The RCMP lost. Last I heard, some folks were still waiting for the return of their stolen firearms.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 5:23am
My initial response it to be frustrated at the total stupidity of the Liberal govt. like the last time the long gun registry was brought in. This time (deja Vu all over again) I'll patiently wait until the Conservatives get back into power and fix what this clown is doing to our country.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 6:40am
...we may not have a country left, when the all purpose idiot is finished!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic