Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Marking on Longbranch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Marking on Longbranch
    Posted: March 23 2018 at 7:25pm
Hi guys, new guy here. I just picked up a No4 Mk1at an estate sale in a local gun shop. The words “Longbranch” and “1944” are clearly marked on the receiver. The serial number also has an L in it, indicating Longbranch manufacture. However, the word “Longbranch” seems to have been marked off, and the word “England” appears on the band? I’m confused, anyone have any clues? Why the word England when everything indicates Longbranch.

Also, the magazine is stuck, like, SUPER stuck, any clues?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 9:13pm
Post some pictures of it please.
The England stamp is a pre 1968 import stamp, pretty typical. Not much else to go on until we here can see what you're referring to.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 4:23am
Welcome from Manitoba! As far as the stuck mag, try opening the bolt. Spray some wd40 or similar lubricant onto the edges of the mag. Then turn the rifle over and spray the edges of the magazine where it fits into the metal frame. Don't forget to spray the lever that releases the mag inside the trigger guard. Gently tap the mag with a rubber hammer or your hand. Might just have a build up of dirt and oil and rust. Let us know if it works.
TacticalLumberjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 12:09pm
Thanks for the replies, folks! I tried the penetrating oil with the mag, as well as unscrewing the screw in front of the mag well, nothing yet, I’ll keep trying.

Here are some pics.

There you can see the word Longbranch is crossed out, but the matching serial numbers all have an L.

Here is the bottoms of the magazine. You can see a serial number has been crossed out and it seems a new one applied. However, and you can’t see this in the picture, th one that was crossed out is the same as the other one.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 3:00pm
The import stamp was the country of origin (of the design) not of manufacture.
This is going to sound crazy, but try it anyway.
It looks like you magazine is in crooked, with the back being lower than the front & the magazine rotated forwards a bit. See the odd gap between the front of the trigger guard & the back of the magazine?
Take a look at it from the side & compare to this:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 3:02pm
If it is lower at the back open the bolt fully then give the mag bottom a firm slap with the palm of your hand.
Now press the mag catch firmly all the way in & try pulling it vertically down.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 4:58pm
The L8 series No. 4 rifles converted to 7.62 had the original reciever markings cancelled out. Were there any other models that did this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 10:28pm
Oh man, it could be in .308? I’m going to need to take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber checked now, aren’t I...
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 6:53am
The import marking is the originating country of export into the USA, not the design origin..

It is common to see re-imported Savage, Longbranch and Ross rifles marked ENGLAND. 

Sometimes with a stuck mag (eg. No.4 mag wedged into a No.1), it is necessary to remove the trigger guard to budge it.

Don't use force, it is hung up on something. As Shamu mentioned, it might be jammed because it is cock eyed front to back and has become wedged.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 8:45am
Its a real easy check to see if its been converted.
Look for the caliber stamp on the breech area.
Failing that slide (by hand, not the bolt) a .303 round into the breech with the bolt back. If its been converted it'll stick with about 1/2 of case still sticking out of the breech end!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 12:12pm
*update*
I tried cycling some ammo last night. Something is definitely off in the magazine, only about every other round will load without issue. No problem extracting.

I attempted hammering the magazine out, to no avail. I used a gunsmithing hammer and a plastic punch. I’m afraid to use one of the brass punches because it could damage the magazine, or would it be safe?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 1:40pm
HOW exactly were you trying to hammer it & where exactly?

If its (as I believe) rotated forward & you're hammering down on the rear you're actually jamming it in tighter!
Please try this, as suggested earlier.         

Open the bolt fully.
Press firmly IN on the bottom/rear of the magazine.

It should move slightly & there may be an audible *CLICK* & the magazine catch should jump down slightly. You may notice the rear face of the magazine come to touch the front of the trigger guard.
Now press & hold the magazine catch & firmly PULL down vertically on the magazine body.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 1:43pm
Wow, my head is elsewher today. Shamu covered it nicely.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 8:34pm
i think it is the import stamping , if i missed something here it is because ive been three days oin 5 hours sleep-each and i need lots more , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalLumberjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 9:43pm
I was hammering on the sides, both sides.
I’ll give what you said to do a go and report back.
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 1:10am
Originally posted by TacticalLumberjack TacticalLumberjack wrote:

Oh man, it could be in .308? I’m going to need to take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber checked now, aren’t I...

I don't think your rifle is in 7.62 /.308, but the markings would indicate some conversion work has been done.

The crossing out of "Long Branch" was common when rifles were overhauled at ROF Fazakerley post WW2. 

Above the crossed out "Long Branch" I can see Fazakerley FTR markings. I think that your rifle has been converted to the hung trigger variant, and so would have been re-marked as either a Mk 1/2 or Mk 1/3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic