Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No. 4 Mk 2 7.62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No. 4 Mk 2 7.62
    Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:52pm
Here’s my other No. 4., a UF56 Mk 2. I’m not sure of the wood, looks like it might be birch, it has a pattern of short darker coloured grains showing thru the lighter wood. The reciever SN is stamped on the butt stock just behind the reciever butt socket, so it might be original to the rifle.   My dad bought this rifle in 1965 for $20. Dave Reynolds in Ottawa put on a CA 7.62 barrel for the total cost of $30 plus a $10 “tune”. He was intending to shoot it in DCRA matches, but never shot the rifle. About 15 years ago, I bought the magazine, not sure who made it.

Fello Canadian LE enthusiasts may know how the FAZ Mk 2s came to Canada. How common are Mk 2 actions in Canada?

This is way more scope than the rifle can take advantage of, but I’m curious to see what the full accuracy potential is for handloads. I’m loading 168 gr SMK to approx 2500 fps.   May reduce this a bit to be closer to .303 Mk VII velocities. My earlier tests with the PH 5c sight were encouraging.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 1:24pm
Nice...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 2:25pm
Look for "fish scale" grain, particularly on the sloping or curved surfaces. That distinguishes beech & birch.

Very nice rifle.
Here's my UF '55 FAZ still in .303, wearing its "Leatherwood camputer" ART-2 600 yd scope.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 3:15pm
I purchased a matching numbers Mk2 two years ago. $600. This was my rifle I am slowly turning into my sniper clone. Walnut cheek piece has been installed, DAI scope mount (I don't have the skill to mount a repo) and a 3x Weaver straight tube scope on it. Haven't tuned it in or developed a load yet, but seems to shoot 2" groups at 100yds with 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunters all day long.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 4:02pm
Shamu, definite fish scales on underside of butt stock, so birch? I wonder if the stock is original to the rifle. The rifle was only 9 years old when my Dad got it, so likely would be. I still wonder how it found it’s way to Canada. Did Britain sell off large quantities of surplus LEs into Canada in the 1960’s?.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 6:22am
Beech, birch is almost bland in its grain, hardly even visible at all.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 6:35am
I checked my Mk2. Same fish scaling.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 8:49am
IIRC Century bought all the lat Faz production guns that were unissued, they were usually imported to Canada, then from Canada to the US. Something to do with various import laws it was easier to import from Canada then the U.K. so yes a lot of the '54, '55 & 56 rifles came through Canada. I'm not sure it was in the 60's though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 1:09pm
I've been contemplating turning this No. 4 Mk 2 into a 7.62 sniper repro; I need to find someone who knows how to install the scope mount bracket pads on the receiver to zero the scope correctly.   
Anyone have experience with this and the RSM repro No. 32 scopes?     

I'd like to build a No. 4 for the CMP Vintage Sniper matches, but this rifle has a 7.62 barrel and probably does not qualify for the Vintage Sniper matches.  And tough to center groups on the bull if the scope has 2 MOA clicks; why on earth did they copy the Mk II and not the Mk III?  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 3:38pm
Britrifles... I'm assuming you don't live in Canada? I found a very reputable Enfield Smith (he and his son are from the UK originally) that work exclusively on Enfields. I thought about getting a repo Mk 32 scope put on my No4 Mk2. I supply the RSM scope/mounts and adjustment tool, (about $700 CAD to my door) ship it to them in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. They mount, tune, etc. For another $300 CAD.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I've been contemplating turning this No. 4 Mk 2 into a 7.62 sniper repro; I need to find someone who knows how to install the scope mount bracket pads on the receiver to zero the scope correctly.   
Anyone have experience with this and the RSM repro No. 32 scopes?      

I'd like to build a No. 4 for the CMP Vintage Sniper matches, but this rifle has a 7.62 barrel and probably does not qualify for the Vintage Sniper matches.  And tough to center groups on the bull if the scope has 2 MOA clicks; why on earth did they copy the Mk II and not the Mk III?  

I have experience with the reproduction scope kit from Numrich Gun Parts in which I think it's a better built scope.
I did this myself. It was tough but worth the effort. I followed Peter Laidler's​ four part process of setting up the scope and it turned out great. I have met one other fellow that did this but using the RSM kit. He hasn't any issues with it so far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 5:02pm
Goosic, do you have Peter’s installation process? Is it online?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 5:05pm
Honkytonk, I am from Canada, but now live in the US. So would be problematic to get this done up there. Not sure I would want to tackle this myself, I would like to see the instructions first.

Are there more than one company making repro No. 32 scopes?

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 5:09pm
It's online but,I'm having trouble locating the site. Someone on here has it as well,just can't remember who. Please step in with the information being requested whoever it is that I can't remember...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 5:29pm
Britrifles. Www.RSMscope.com. All the instructions needed to mount their scope. Numrich is nice, but not real available in Canada. I can order a RSM from China right to my door, no issues with very restrictive US export laws. You beng in the US might want to go Numrich. I'm sure installation instructions are similar. Let us know if you find the site!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 7:18pm
Got it, thanks!   

Are these scopes all from the same manufacturer?   Numrich identifies the manufacturer as “SMLE”. $628.00 which includes metal case, cheek piece, leather sling and adjusting tool but does not show mounting screws, tap and drill bits.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic