Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1907 Sanderson Bayonet help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Softpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1907 Sanderson Bayonet help
    Posted: April 07 2018 at 12:26pm
Recently just bought a 1907 Sanderson Bayonet for my mkIII* Enfield, but I've run into a problem. The catch button is locked in place and will not budge an inch, I've tried everything from soaking it in oil for a day to tapping on it with a hammer and punch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 2:34pm
I'm not sure where you live. There is a product where I live called Kroil. This stuff is amazing! If you can get it , please try. If not, lightly heating (and I mean lightly as you have applied oil) may help.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 3:53pm
Can you identify any rust binding it?
Loose wimmen tightened here
303 Softpoint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Softpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 3:55pm
For the most part no, very little surface rust, and I can't check the inside to see of there is rust.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 5:36am
ATF & Acetone 50/50 mix is supposed to be the best penetrating solvent/lubricant but use carefully outdoors & wear gloves.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 6:14am
Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

I have got the stud moving on some pretty rusted up bayos. Sometimes if the hilt has been hammered to pound the thing into the ground or has been used for piercing and opening tin cans, the stud and hole can get peened and distorted. 

Lots of penetrating oil and tap tap, tap tap, tap tap with a hammer on a brass drift. You need to show it who is the boss! 
Once it starts to move, tap it back and forth. It will go, just be patient.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 6:50am
Isn't there a spring in there?
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 7:04pm
yes , there is a spring but as englishman said be patient soak and tap , penetration to loosten the set up grease and tapping to loosen the burrs , you need it to start moving but you do not want to break it , 

ive often found that caked old grease to be a darned good cement but don't try using it to set something up it will move freely forever , just the nature of things 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic