Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Mag modifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Mag modifications
    Posted: April 15 2018 at 2:01pm
I took a Pro Mag and shortened it. Not flush to the stock,just shorter and flatter. I purposely tack welded the bottom on in specific areas to give it that utilitarian look,then polished and reblued it.
This one will have to get some getting used to but, I think it looks like it was meant to be this way?
Still a work in progress...
Macd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:15pm
Looks god. Did you shorten spring too? I just bought one and the spring is already hard on my arthritic fingers.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:31pm
The Enfield Sporter I purchased a while ago (which Shamu graciously displayed for me) came with an after market magazine. I have 303 snap caps, and spent at least 3 hours trying to get a consistent feed into the chamber. I've put it side by side with a dependable original, thought I tweaked it, but the second bullet hits high and to the left. Any ideas?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:41pm
Gentle application of a red-hot 12 1/2 Lb sledge?
Pro mag are kinda famous for being rubbish.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Macd Macd wrote:

Looks god. Did you shorten spring too? I just bought one and the spring is already hard on my arthritic fingers.

No,I did not shorten the spring. No way to shorten it without affecting the feeding.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Gentle application of a red-hot 12 1/2 Lb sledge?
Pro mag are kinda famous for being rubbish.

That's exactly why I bought it for $19.95.
If it didn't work out,I'm not out that much money.
I took my Dremel and lowered the back of the mag to expose the top of the case a little better. I bent the wings up just about 1/8th". No feeding problems yet.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 3:57pm
Good idea. The second round sometimes wouldn't get caught by the bolt. I'll give it a whirl!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

The Enfield Sporter I purchased a while ago (which Shamu graciously displayed for me) came with an after market magazine. I have 303 snap caps, and spent at least 3 hours trying to get a consistent feed into the chamber. I've put it side by side with a dependable original, thought I tweaked it, but the second bullet hits high and to the left. Any ideas?

When you say,"the second bullet hits high and to the left". I'm assuming that you're referring to where the bullet is going when your trying to feed it into the chamber. Adjusting the wings to give a consistent and reliable feed with the pro mag is trial and error.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 4:25pm
Goosic. Yes. Second bullet chambered high and to the left. Worked both left and right front ears, cannot seem to make progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic