Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 3:02pm
he!!o Derek. Welcome from Manitoba Canada. Awesome rifle! Canadians (along with ANZAC troops) fought in the Boer War for King and Country. You should cherish that rifle as part of Commonwealth history.
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 3:06pm
Sorry about the delay in posts from my end
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 3:10pm
Thank you and I will I’m trying to find out as much about it’s history as I can so any help from anyone would be apreciated
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 3:21pm
Is there any way to find out if the rifle was used in the boar war and for that matter in ww1 as I would like to know what theatres of war it went too
I have recently found out it was part of the home gard in south Australia from a place called pinnaroo where it was issued to a farmer called Raymond Sheldon and as he had a 3000 hectare farm that produced wheat and sheep so was not allowed to go to war
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 5:43am
He means "fore end", the wood stock part at the front of the rifle.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 6:33am
Parhor,

A good few Long Lees in Australia and NZ were cut back for rife  range shooting.
These rifles would have been previously used, possibly in the Boer War, but were then downgraded and used by Home Guard and such, and target shooting. 
Target shooting rules changed, and rifles were to have barrels no longer than the SMLE, so many Long Lees were cut back to 25" barrels, and had the fore-end shortened, and fore-end cap refitted.
Sometimes, like with your rifle, a new  SMLE barrel was fitted.  I see yours is marked 1941.

What I was asking about, was Were  range pattern fore-ends made , with barrel channels suitable for the  SMLE, with it's thinner barrel, or were all made from cut down Long Lee fore-ends, with the larger barrel channel for the heavier L-Lee barrel??
I do not know, so was asking any here who may be able to tell me.
If your barrel fits well in the wood, and is not a really loose fit, then this would suggest that the fore-end was made to take the lighter barrel, and not merely a Long Lee wood re-used with lighter barrel.

Hope this makes Some sense!

Richard.

Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 4:18am
Ok thanks to you all identifiing some of the hallmarks I have been googling and have come up with a bit of a time line for my rifle
1897 manufactured
1898 delivers to the Australian Colonies were all the different states at the time had there own army which was under control of the Royal Navy that’s why we have the N on the riflle and the hallmarks NSW NB3 was eched into the stock then this group was sent to South Africa at took part in the Boer war which is before federation in 1901
At some point the rifle came back to Australia not sure about ww1 history yet but in 1921 the rifle was sold out of service and then brought back into service for ww2 not sure what it did for a few years but in 1942 it had a Lithgow barrel fitted and it was issued to Raymond Sheldon who is the father of Kay farmer who is married to jack farmer the man who gave me the rifle as it was given to him in 1966 to be the rifles custodian as I am to be now till my son is ready
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 4:28am
Oops forgot to say that the New South Wales navel bragade was a Cavalry which latter became the Australian light horse
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 7:00pm
the "N" generally denotes 'navy' and that might be original use unless im missing something here , it did not appear to be shortened to me but perhaps i missed something else , my late night visits after long tiring days can do that , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 12:40pm
A great rifle with interesting history. Thank you for posting the photos.
I was wondering if at some time it's had a target Match sight fitted to the rear; seeing as the volley sight is missing and there appears to be a hole in the left side wrist which could be for fitting.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 1:42pm
Yes you are correct when the rifle was pard of the home guard of MD4 south Australia it was fitted with a peep sight as the riffle didn’t see any action only the range for target practice but Ramond hates it and took it off as soon as the rifle was his just after the finish of ww2
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2018 at 4:25am
It would great if the peep sight was still laying around in a draw somewhere! worth a look!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Parhor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 8:04pm
Hi all it was brought to my attention I should add the Lee Enfield to my insurance firstly where do I take it to get it valued and second can you later give me an idea on value please
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Parhor Parhor wrote:

Oops forgot to say that the New South Wales navel bragade was a Cavalry which latter became the Australian light horse

Are you sure?

Naval Brigade would mean ships rather than horses surely?

All accounts of the NSW Naval Brigade which I've read indicate that, in the absence of sea-going employment, its members were trained as infantry. No mention of horses, either as cavalry or mounted infantry/light horse. 
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 2:51pm
I have one of these rifles (see my post yesterday) Mine also has that circular stamp on the butt. It's not easy to read, there seem to be stars at 3 and 9 o'clock, the word "London" at 6 o'clock but the top is illegible. Can you read yours?
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic