Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No. 4 Mk I not ejecting well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No. 4 Mk I not ejecting well
    Posted: April 28 2018 at 4:02pm
the spent rounds barely make it out of the rifle.   sometimes they do not.  what  do I need to do/change?  

thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 4:07pm
A bit more information about the rifle like is the ejector screw in place or worn down ? How quickly do you cycle the bolt ?
Cheers
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 4:22pm
I have racked the bolt fast and the case barely makes it out.  Racking it slowly and it simply jams; falls on top of the next round.

Okay, so I will look at the ejector screw. That is what I needed to know.  Where to start.  Not sure how I will tell if it is worn out.  I'll have a look and get back to you guys.

Thanks

K
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:10pm
this spring appears bent to me. yes or no?   I've never seen one before

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:12pm
Post a picture of far it protrudes into the receiver. I don't have my spec sheet with me. Again does it even have the screw ?

Here it is in all it's glory on the left receiver wall.

Good Luck !
....Thumbs Up....
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:17pm
The ejector screw I'm thinking about is really only needed to eject a full round, not a spent one. The picture shown looks like the extractor. I might have my parts named incorrect.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:23pm
MJ11. That's the screw I'm talking about. The other picture from the gentleman with the issue is on the bolt, and I'm guessing an extractor.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:26pm
there is nothing in that little hole in the receiver.   then this could be a problem.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 5:28pm
now that the gun is in pieces, i cant determine how well it ejects a live round.
but that part is not present
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 6:01pm
Live round spent round it is the same. If the hole in the receiver is empty you found your problem.

Stop taking things apart.

If the round is being pulled from the chamber the extractor is working. you said it was not kicking the empty case out of the rifle. ???

I want to see you get that bolt head assembled. LOL You may need dental floss.

Good luck.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 5:37am
Which round hole in the receiver?
One (the breeches gas vent) should be there & empty. The threaded one behind it should have an ejector screw fitted, but that doesn't eject fired rounds.
Your ejector spring looks weak, ejection is by friction with the left side receiver wall. THIS is how it should look.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 5:40am
This is how your rifle's left side receiver wall should look.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MJ11 MJ11 wrote:

Live round spent round it is the same. If the hole in the receiver is empty you found your problem.

Stop taking things apart.

If the round is being pulled from the chamber the extractor is working. you said it was not kicking the empty case out of the rifle. ???

I want to see you get that bolt head assembled. LOL You may need dental floss.

Good luck.

I am always up for a good challenge.   You'll probably here me swearing.   Smile
I don't have floss.  I use the Reach thing for flossing.  Will that do?
I  found a couple Youtube videos as guides.  Its going to be a son-of-a-gun.  (pun intended)

Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

This is how your rifle's left side receiver wall should look.

Okay.  Gas vent hole is empty like it should be.   The rifle does in fact have an ejector screw.  
I have ordered a new ejector screw and extractor spring. 

I think/hope this will do the trick.

Yours truly,

Dux-R-Us, AKA Knucklehead Kevin
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 1:22pm
No dental floss use strong fishing line.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 3:00pm
I just use a small flat screw driver. Works every time. I do keep some spare change for the swear jar though and a band aid for those little slips but....it works.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic