Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No. 4 Mk I not ejecting well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 3:30pm
I've actually have never used dental floss or a small flat screwdriver. I've always used my thumb. Put the spring in, angled the extractor up under the spring and pushed. Clicks right in and works all the time,for me.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 4:12pm
I’m with Shamu, your extractor spring is deformed. It’s not going to push the case far enough to the left side of the reciever.

The ejector screw should just barely protrude from the inner reciever surface. You probably don’t need one of these. Clean the bolt head and extractor, install an new spring, and it should eject cases just fine.

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 7:56pm
Goosic,

Same here on the extractor spring.
Lived a sheltered life, and never even Heard of using dental floss till now.  LOL! 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 6:05am
Oh dental floss, or strong fishing line is the best "silly Enfield trick" ever. I actually wrap it round a screwdriver as its kinder to the fingers when snapping the detent over the bolt!Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by MJ11 MJ11 wrote:

I want to see you get that bolt head assembled. LOL You may need dental floss.

Good luck.

Bad extractor spring.   It was really easy to put it back together.  I Put bolthead in a vice and pushed spring down with a small screwdriver.  Then just worked in the extractor. Took 2 minutes.

And I Flossed after lunch.

k

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 9:06pm
Put the bolt head in a vice? I hope for your sake you did not clamp it in there.
If you ever need to do something like that again try this little trick. Find a short well socket the same diameter as the bottom of the bolt head. Slip the bolt head into the socket. Put a small extension on the socket and clamp that part in the vice. Saves taking a chance smashing the threads up,or any other part of the bolt head.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 6:33am
I used two pieces of wood to hold it in place, so no steel on steel.   I'm not that big of a knuckelhead.Tongue
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:06am
Goosic. That's a good idea! Wood also works. The machinists at work had fabbed up two pieces of fairly thick copper bent at a 90. They would put these in the vise jaws then put the threaded end of a shaft or whatever while applying bearings, etc.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 12:13pm
I did everything I could to convince this previous acquaintance of mine to not do what he did when he decided he needed that extractor spring out. He left the bolt head in the bolt body and then clamped that in a vice hard enough to smash the bolt flat. He got the spring out however. That was almost thirty years ago,and to this day,I believe the rifle is still without​ a bolt assembly...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic