Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is trigger pull of the rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is trigger pull of the rifle?
    Posted: May 12 2018 at 2:45pm
My No. 4 Mk I trigger tested at 5 lb 8 oz.

It still seems very stiff, but I am so used to my hunting rifles that break at 3 lbs or less.

What is the "standard" or average trigger pull?  Or what would the armorer's set it at?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 2:47pm
I wouldn't hunt with anything less than 5lbs.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

I wouldn't hunt with anything less than 5lbs.

you're in luck, none of my rifles are currently for sale.   Smile
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 3:40pm
No problem. Got lots of Enfields myself!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 4:04pm
2~4 Lbs first pressure 3~ 5Lbs second pressure. You'll note that First & second can be really close together sometimes.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 4:14am
I had a bad experience once. Buddy had set his trigger pull on a Remington 760 30-96 to 2 lbs. Thought it would be good at the range. In the fall, we went deer hunting. He had his gloves on while racking a round in as we were all getting ready. Luckily he had the rifle pointed in a safe direction. I don't know how or why it went off, but in my mind it had to be something with the trigger pull adjustment.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 6:26am
There's a whole long saga about some (many) Remington triggers.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Dux-R-Us Dux-R-Us wrote:

My No. 4 Mk I trigger tested at 5 lb 8 oz.

It still seems very stiff, but I am so used to my hunting rifles that break at 3 lbs or less.

What is the "standard" or average trigger pull?  Or what would the armorer's set it at?

My question to you would be to ask,why?(I will preface this statement by saying that this is of my opinion and mine alone.) This question comes up alot on this forum. These rifles were produced in mass quantities for wartime supplies. The trigger,sear,and cocking piece were made in mass quantities to original specifications and assembled into the,"master component". The trigger has two stages to its pull. The first stage can be anywhere between 2-4 pounds. The second stage of the pull,that being where it breaks the contact between the striker release and the sear can be between 3-6 pounds. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on that rifle. They cannot be,"set". They can be fine tuned at a later date,when specific rifles were destined to become a sniper rifle. And there only, a few specific areas of the trigger group were smoothed over slightly to improve, slightly,the pull off but never the pull weight release.
The short and not so sweet reality is that. You can smooth out the two stage trigger pull off of an Enfield rifle but if you attempt to reduce the pull weight by making the assumption that you can "improve" where the original designers failed. The end result will be a rifle that will not function the way it was intended to. Case in point,and you can search online for yourself if you'd like. There is a company that will sell you,what he refers to as a fully adjustable trigger for an Enfield No4 Mk1 or No1 MkIII. I bought one just to determine and compare the difference between this one and an original. Stick with the original in my opinion. This adjustable trigger will adjust but,it will not reduce the pull weight at all.Playing with the trigger pull on an Enfield rifle is a slippery slope and if done improperly can result in a rifle you're are not happy with any longer or someone getting hurt and,a rifle you're not happy with any longer. There are many on here that can give you advice on what can be done to clean up the trigger pull,myself included but, before that,I would simply like to know why? If you are not familiar with the inner workings of the Enfield rifle and the way the trigger feels when pulled and you want to just get that thing down below 3 pounds of pull off weight for whatever reasons you have. Take it to a professional gunsmith that has extensive knowledge of an Enfield and ask him or her to disassemble it and clean all areas associated with the trigger group first. You might find that cleaning off 50-100 years of dirt and grease does infact make the trigger group work better. The lengthy commentary was for your own safety...
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 6:49am
Now we have gotten into hunting rifles and trigger pulls.

Two of my rifles(30-06 and .270 Win) have pulls of 2lbs 12oz. They are just as safe as my LE with 5.5 lb trigger. 

My Lyman Great Plains rifle has a double set trigger.  Some times taking a shot on a deer I use the set trigger.  

I pull my gloves off when shooting and don't touch the trigger until ready to fire.

In my cases when hunting in timber/brush when shots are likely to be 50 yards or less, a heavier trigger is not an issue.   However, when shooting over open plains or in the mountains, drawing on an animal 200 - 400 yards away, a lighter trigger is preferred.

All my rifles are only as safe as I am.

And my party and I don't load rifles around the truck.  We do so when we are away from each other.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:03am
Dux-r-us. Very true statement on a rifle is as safe as the owner. For me, and in my opinion, I will always add a "safety factor" in all things firearms related. I never go to maximum while reloading is an example. Wether at the range or hunting, stock trigger pull on a well cleaned Lee Enfield feels adequate... and safe. Again, this is a personal observation.
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

[
My question to you would be to ask,why?

My post read nothing about me adjusting the trigger on the LE.

Others on this forum adjust the trigger pulls, I suppose to allow them (the person) to shoot better.
And if the average LE trigger was as low as 3-5 lbs, I see no reason not to have it adjusted if a rifle is out of that slot.

Regards,

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:08am
(However, when shooting over open plains or in the mountains, drawing on an animal 200 - 400 yards away, a lighter trigger is preferred.) And there lays the misconception. Look at it as such. I'll use the No4 as an example. 17+million of these were produced to kill a certain animal between the ranges of 300-1300 yards away. Not a single operator during wartime useage was concerned about trigger pull weight. Here is a little FYI,you might find helpful too. The Lee Enfield rifle has killed more big game animals including the big 5 dangerous animals then any other rifle produced,past or present. Having the two stage pull is almost comparable to your rifle with a set trigger,or how a compound bow works. You can hold that position indefinitely until such time that it's not. Take it with a grain of salt. Clean up the trigger group but please do not attempt to inprove on it.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Dux-R-Us Dux-R-Us wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

[
My question to you would be to ask,why?

My post read nothing about me adjusting the trigger on the LE.

Others on this forum adjust the trigger pulls, I suppose to allow them (the person) to shoot better.
And if the average LE trigger was as low as 3-5 lbs, I see no reason not to have it adjusted if a rifle is out of that slot.

Regards,

You are correct. You never specifically stated that you wanted to adjust the trigger pull. You did ask what the standard trigger pull off a Lee Enfield was and used your hunting rifle pull off weights as an example compared to your 5.8 lbs pull off weight of your Enfield. I'm not making an assumption. It is an observation. Your asking a specific question and I just wanted to know why you asked. I have a No5 Mk1 that I accidentally got the trigger to release at 38 ounces. A total fluke and definitely not normal. The 3-5 lb pull off of a Lee Enfield as good as it is going to get.

This is the rifle I was referring to. I've owned and customized many an Enfield in the course of thirty-five years. This is the first one I have ever owned that has a less then 3 pound pull...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 7:28am
I tend to agree with Goosic.

Although, I did work on my No. 4 trigger, the pull off weigh had increased over the last few years. I found the cocking piece was very loose in the threads of the striker and this altered the pull off. I believe this is what wore a slight depression in the cocking piece bent face. I applied solder to the threads of the striker per Peter Laidler’s recommendation and dressed the bent face flat again.

It’s now back to 4 lbs, it had been about 6.5 lbs, and not consistent before I worked on it. Predictable consistent let off is important to target shooting accuracy. Especially in the standing (off hand) position when the stiker must be released at the instant correct aim is realized. And jerking the trigger to overcome inconsistent pull doesn’t work.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:05am
I actually really like the two stage trigger. As Goosic stated, like a compound bow. When hunting or at the range, I can pull, wait, breath out then squeeze. Does anyone know the history behind why Enfield chose this design?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 8:55am
EXACTLY!
That is the correct way to use a 2-stage trigger.
All I do is smooth any roughness out. Just a polish maintaining the original angles & contours.
I do put a small amount as in a q-tip does all of them, of Moly grease on the sear bents, trigger humps & cocking piece face, that helps a lot.
The odd thing with triggers is if they're smooth they feel way lighter than they are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic