Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Enfield and Some Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuserAim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Enfield and Some Questions
    Posted: May 22 2018 at 12:33pm
Hey guys, I finally got my first Enfield this week. It's a 1915. No pitting in the bore and the rifling is very strong. All parts seem to match except maybe the rear sight but I don't know if that is supposed to anyways because it looks like a different marking. Anyways I'll put some pictures below. So as far as my questions, I really want to know what bayonet is historically accurate for this gun. I know they were using 1907s, but I have heard that they vary in length so I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Also, I want to know where I can find a sling that is historically accurate. The only slings I can find online are for No4 Enfields from WWII. I am happy to buy a reproduction if that is all that is available these days. Lastly, do you guys think it would be safe to put a few rounds through this thing? The guy at my FFL said he thought it would be fine, but I just wanted to get your opinions. Oh also does the No1 use the same stripper clips as the No4, because that is all I can find? Anyways thanks!

zekehp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekehp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 2:12pm
Hi. Info for the bayonet. Try www.canadiansoldiers.com Weapons. Small Arms. Bayonets F.Y.I. Mike.
Image:bayo07.jpg
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 4:10am
"Strippers"?? "Clips"?? "Gun"?? Arrgh!

Hi - welcome.
Round these parts we use the Enfield nomenclature.
Chargers, magazines and rifles

As for shooting it - why not? your dealer said its good to go. You indicated that the innards are all up to snuff.
If you haven't fired one yet - your in for a treat Don't be surprised if it rapidly becomes your FAV!!
There are many places to obtain the slings..most will be repros by now. Some of the other members will be chiming in with their favourite vendors.(Probobly better buying Stateside, since your already there).Yes - the pattern 1907 is correct.There are a few "variants, I believe..but the '07 will work just fine.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 7:32am
If its not stamped "DP" it should be safe to fire. If in doubt have a smith check it out.

The bayonets varied with time, so it depends on when you want to be correct for. They started with the very rare & spendy "Hooked Quillion", that was modified by cutting the hook off & becoming a 1907. Later many of those were shortened by having the end cut off & re-shaped.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a sling? The WW1 & WW2 were the same AFAIK, the khaki webbed type. If that's what you want I have an original "War Expedient" one with the steel (rather than brass) buckles I'd be willing to part with.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 7:48am
Chargers are the same & interchangeable between the No1 & No4/5 rifles.
BUT
There are several versions, some better than others. You want the shiny, blued, non-parkerized ones with the oval holes at the sprung end.
Like the Mk4 (top one) shown here.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 6:01pm
I think that your magazine is one for a No 4 or No 5 rifle by the look of it.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 10:15pm
you have an ROF Enfield made rifle , its a mkIII* so it must be late 1915 , they were transitioning about then from the mkIII but no evidence of volleys indicates they had made that change , its a bit crusty so i would gently clean before i shot it - you will learn a lot of her once stripped down , 

i can check my references for dates/serial numbers but i cannot do it tonight , im too tired 

if not mistaken the bayo boss is mismatched - might indicate restock , but it looks vintage pre-cleaning , i cannot see the serial in the photo of the rear sight ladder - it should match the bolt and receiver too , 

it looks a righteous WWI rifle to me but im reserving just a bit till you clean her up and confirm the questions asked , 

the bayo would be a full length P1907 of british mfgr preferably , with the clearing hole of that vintage , the shorter ones are indian - not correct for your rifle but fully functionable if thats what you have - does not appear to have the ishy refurb stock screw 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 6:16am
Originally posted by maxwell smart maxwell smart wrote:

I think that your magazine is one for a No 4 or No 5 rifle by the look of it.

Yes that's a non compatible No4/5 magazine. (on the left. No1 on the right).
Its probably wedged but not locked in place because of the different locking catches used.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 6:29am
Originally posted by zekehp zekehp wrote:

Hi. Info for the bayonet. Try www.canadiansoldiers.com Weapons. Small Arms. Bayonets F.Y.I. Mike.
Image:bayo07.jpg

That's an interesting setup at the top, combo bayonet scabbard & Intrenching tool helve all in one! Can yo tell me a little more about it?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 4:02am
Welcome to the forum.
I notice also the the bolt seem's to have been ground and re-numbered to suit your rifle. (The number stamp pattern is slightly different to the barrel knox form stamp)
That's not that unusual; and providing it was fitted correctly; should not cause any problems.
The bolt lug's should both contact the receiver. These were hand fitted to ensure the recoil is taken on both sides of the bolt. I would also check headspace. If the dealer is up to speed on Lee Enfields, it should be OK; but not all gunsmith's are aware of the things that are specific to the Enfield rifle.

I agree with the other comment's regarding the magazine and also the charger clips. There are lot's of bad charger clips for sale on-line; and you won't know there rubbish until you try them. I speak from experience! Best ones are older type production, proper spring steel
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic