Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - new here, need help with 1917 Mk iii* questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new here, need help with 1917 Mk iii* questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new here, need help with 1917 Mk iii* questions
    Posted: May 29 2018 at 5:16pm
Hey fellas,

I have a couple of SMLE rifles:

A No 4 Mk 2 which i bought many years ago.  It was unissued and packed in Cosmoline.  I cleaned it out and it works fine.

A friend many years ago gave me another one which I shot once and put it away in my safe.  I just pulled it out yesterday and gave it a cleaning.  It turns out it is a 1917 SMLE Mk iii*

I found some videos online so I joined here to learn more.  It is missing a couple of screws.  One is in the bottom of the forearm.  There is a recess in the wood which has a small spring but no bolt.  There is also a missing bolt near the rear of the trigger housing.  I think it might be something that the magazine might "hang on".

Would someone please tell me what these parts are called?  And where can I find them?

Thanks!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 4:30am
The screw underneath with the spring holds the barrel band in place. The band pulls the barrel downwards to dampen the ressonance of the barrel when firing. It may effect accuracy if it's missing.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 4:51am
Thanks for the reply.  Searching again I think it's called the "inner band screw'.

However there seems to be a missing screw near the front of the trigger guard.  It's not the one which holds it to the rifle.  

I did some looking around online and I think it's a "Type A" trigger guard. I don't know what the purpose of this missing screw is for or what it's called.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 6:39am
Yes the Inner band screw is correct.
The other one in front of the magazine well is just a sling swivel, unused.
It can be used for a sniper-type sling mount if you feel the urge but in service it was just used to tie the canvas breech cover in place & was replaced in the later models with a simple wire loop.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 7:08am
Is there a source where I can buy this swivel and screw?

I would like the rifle to be complete
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 3:34pm
be aware some of the mkIII* front vtrigger guard swivel mounts were not D&Td for the screw , its just a hole - i cannot say for certain from your photos , but may not take the scgew - should be same as for the front swivel band i think tho , 
Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

be aware some of the mkIII* front vtrigger guard swivel mounts were not D&Td for the screw , its just a hole - i cannot say for certain from your photos , but may not take the scgew - should be same as for the front swivel band i think tho , 

Long day today and just got home.   I took one of the sling swivel screws out of the rifle and was able to thread it into the hole at the front of the trigger guard.    So it is obviously drilled and tapped.

Is there any link or resource that I can get this original part? The screw and swivel?

also I found a diagram of the breakdown of the rifle.  It shows the "inner band assembly".  It looks like there is some sort of bushing or washer  that sits below the inner band and on top of the forend.  Then the spring and screw below that.  It is listed as part #5.

Am I wrong here?  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 6:00am
Yes its a collar, washer/spacer, coil spring & bolt.

I found my swivel on a gun site, online & had to ship it from NZ.
Your rifle is actually complete without one as they were ONLY fitted to target or sniper rifles.
The mount had originally been for a regular sling swivel, identical to the other ones for cavalry (horse mounted) sling use & then removed.
Try e-bay they pop up occasionally, look for "SMLE target swivel" there are several types so be careful. (you can not use a No4 one its a different thread.)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 8:07pm
thanks for the information.  I've been looking online.  I've found the inner band screw, the spring and I've seen two different type of washers.  One shows a flat washer.  The other photo shows a split washer.

Which type of washer was used with the inner band assembly?

I have the spring in my rifle.  Should I replace it anyway or just get the screw and washer?

Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 3:49pm
Would the moderator please send me a private message and let me know why things are taking this long to post?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 2:10pm
Done. Sorry for the inconvenience its an anti-spam thing & will soon go away.
I'm on here 2~3 times daily so I don't know how the long delays you're experiencing are happening. I remember approving most of these posts within a day, or at worst overnight.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 2:26pm
It should be a flat "spacer" if needed. (#5 in your drawing) Sometimes it is sometimes not. Its job is to space the spring tension so that it has a little "spring" left. This give is what reacts with the barrel via the inner band to dampen barrel harmonics without actually clamping down firmly.
You can check if you need one with a simple test with a screwdriver. There should be a slight spring tension  felt as you press the screwdriver into the slotted head. if it doesn't move its too tight back off about 1/8th of a turn & try again.
This exploded drawing shows what happens on a rifle where you don't need the extra spacer. #37, 38 & 39.
FOR A BIGGER IMAGE RIGHT CLICK, SELECT "VIEW IMAGE" THEN HIT THE "+" SIGN.

HangmanLI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HangmanLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 3:57pm
I got several spare parts for this rifle. I installed the inner band screw. As I understand it am I supposed to screw I’m all the way in and then back it out a touch until I can feel some spring with the screwdriver?

Have I got that right?
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 4:21pm
The inner band screw is supposed to be screwed up tightly.
HangmanLI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HangmanLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 4:54pm
I remember someone else saying that there was supposed to be some “spring” left when tightening up the inner band screw.

Hangman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 5:13pm
Shamu,

Didn’t you say that there is supposed to be a little “spring” left while tightening the inner band screw?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic