Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

215 gr Woodleigh and IMR4064

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YukonScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 215 gr Woodleigh and IMR4064
    Posted: June 29 2018 at 10:54am
he!!o All

New to the forum...also getting back into hunting/reloading after a long time away. Rifle is an immaculate Parker-Hale 4 Sporter.

I plan to load up some 215's and wonder if any have loaded with IMR4064? Its what I have on hand now and rather than go and buy other powder would like to use it. Can't find any data on it presently...I am thinking about 37gr but not about to guess :)

kind regards from the Klondike...

Scott
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 1:10pm
WELCOME to the site, Scott!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 1:17pm
Welcome aboard.
I can't find any either. Just for the 150 gr & 180 gr.
Thumbs Down
That may just mean no-one found it a suitable powder for that big ol' bruiser of a round.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 3:16pm
Welcome! I recently loaded 20 brass with 215 gr CIL dinosuars an old friend gave me. 37 gr of H335. Shot them out of a No5 with open sites. Well within a 4" group at 50 and 100yds! Approximately 2015 ft/sec. I got the loading data from an old Speer manual. It was so old, on the from cover, Dad had a cardigan on and junior had a plaid shirt buttoned up all the way!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 4:54pm
How’s the shooting shoulder feeling after shooting those dinosaur pellets, HT?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 5:41pm
This from an old Lyman manual;

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 7:26pm
Canuck, I've got pretty long arms and the No5 Battle Carbine is really light and has a pretty short stock so I have to hunker in close. I won't lie, it's a handful, but manageable! I'm also left handed. One of the eight shots I took my big thumb knuckle caught me on the nose, but all and all, it was awesome! Would not want to be on the receiving end of that chunk of lead!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 8:00pm
welcome , hope you enjoy the group , we are very diversified in our interests and there are a number that have interests like yours , 
YukonScott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YukonScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 9:31pm
he!!o and thank you for the replies....seems about 37gr will be the sweet spot but will find out...love the old rifle so will be cautious...my interests are two-fold...bear protection and possible bison hunting...appreciate the quick response...first time posted to Yukon since living here as a child in the 70's...God's country.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 10:05pm
This is my load chart. Feel free to copy it.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 10:08pm
If you want to try this load,find some Norma powder. This one will knock a Cape Buffalo on hits butt...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 10:14pm
My personal favorite rounds right here...
pete-4d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete-4d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 5:53am
Scott ,ran across this a few years back , haven't tried any of 215-gr woodleigh ,but I shoot the 174-gr protected point ,  different powder charges ,,,,,,, pete

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 6:03am
Norma # 202 is brilliant in the L-E Goosic!
YukonScott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YukonScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 5:46pm
Just wondering if I cover up more of the 215 with the neck of casing to make it same length as the 174 shown here will be ok...enough room for powder not withstanding...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 4:18am
When I loaded my 215's, I ended up with an overall length of 2.97". That length seems to feed and shoot well for my rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic