Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: July 08 2018 at 6:24am
he!!o All. I live in the Garden of England, Kent and have today, much to my delight aquired Nefeild P14 serial number W 100586. The usual markings on the stock is a cicle T * with Pattern underneath and an od dbrass disc marked CIA Rifle Club!!!! I kid you not! The rifle has bene in the are of an Ex British Army armourer so is in near perfect condition, got to allow some thing for the old girl's age. The remains of the front volley sight ar e there the slot for the rear one is blanked by a leaf spring bolt holder, is this part of the Wooerton refurb? Any info would be much appreciated, especially the but disc, could it be a secret history? Smilel
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 7:19pm
welcome , i had a hard time with your first post but then some of mine are equally disconnected - i type one finger and not well at all , got a "D: in typing in 1966 , but then i was not planning to be a typist then , glad you joined us , 

as to your rifle - it sounds to be a winchester pattern 1917 that was accepted as one to be fitted for telescopic sight , desirable to be sure - are the mounting blocks on the port side[left receiver] for the sight ? 

the missing volley bits indicate it could also have gone through weedon refurb but we need photos to be certain of anything here , 

the CIA marking is not what you might think , its regimental markings and i do not have my references at hand tonight so i will defer to one of the others here that have those , 

sounds a nice rifle - would love to see it , 
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 7:27pm
Welcome!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Tony B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 8:15pm
Thank you for the welcome Gemtlemen. I've now had a chance to go over the rifle more closley. It is a P14 in .303 British, and has the stock marks for a Mk 1* pattern haveng gone through the Weedon amoury process. It may have been selected as a sniper rifle but either not fitted with a scope of retro fitted to standard. Futher research shows there is a 6 apeture add on Parker Hale sight available, so next try to find one. As a side I have a Mossberg 42a .22 training rifle that is fitted with Parker Hale sights, and an SMLE AT training riflewhich is one of the first thousnad trial rifles that was converted from .303 in 1907 to .22  rimfire. So the P14 makes another part of the set. I also run a Dodge WC51 and a WC54. Anyone know a cure for the Miltary History Disease? Shame about the CIA plate though.

In Britiain there is currently a lot of intrest in the 100th Anniversary of the Armastice of the Great War and I'm doing a lot of talks and displays so need to get th information accurate. 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 3:54am
Welcome to the forum.  I also have a P-14  mine was made by Remington, I got it over 30 years ago and was the first rifle of my collection.  I had a few sporters to begin with.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 4:34am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 6:10am
Welcome aboard!
"CIA" might also be the U.S. Importer "Century International Arms", there was a rumor going around a while back that they were for some super-secret "deniable" delivery to (fill in the blank) from good ol' "Uncle Charlie", but if it was secret why the heck did they print it right on there?
Confused
I think the sight you're referring to is a "P-H 5B". there were several versions of it to fit different rifle & IIRC the P-14 took the "B".

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 8:08am
My Club is doing something different for the Centenary of the Armistice.
We are continuing a series of competitions at Bisley.
The image is the trophy and all income after Range fees go to the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 8:32am

Good on ya, Stanforth!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 8:37am
Very Nice!Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Tony B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 9:30am
I was hoping to be at the Menien Gate on November 11th, however the all  Great and the Good mean us commoners won't get a look in. Next thing is to get the rifle down to the range at Hythe and see how it shoots. I
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 7:44pm
i think the P1914 rifles that were fitted with the FINE adjustment rear sights were marked with an "F"where you see that "T: , but yours could well have been downgraded at weedon , they were very specific in their markings early on but once these got relegated to second tier im not sure those really mattered to them anymore , 

i do not know which sight was installed on the "F" rifles and im not able to get to my references right this moment but ill see if i can find it for you - it would be an appropriate back sight to have on her , particularly if she once wore it , 

FYI - weedon might have removed the telescopic blocks as these were no longer the front line rifle at that point in time , 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 2:05am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Good on ya, Stanforth!

Here are 2 other trophies One for the Somme anniversary in 2016 and last years for the Passchendaele event last year...
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 7:34pm
wow - love those trophys , i seldom see that kind of thing here - move in the wrong circles these days due to work "trap" and entertainment "SASS" , no longer shoot three gun so thats out , 

met a fun fellow from the isle of man again before they left for the police and fire games in missouri , first met neil here when they shot them here , and again when they shot them in silver bay , he says he will be back yearly - loves to escape the damned motorcycle race and makes some money renting his place out , he has trophies for bunker trap , never shot it but sounds like a bit faster game than american trap 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic