Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rainy day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainy day
    Posted: July 22 2018 at 9:05am
Finally some rain! Taking the time to load my all time favorite .303 deer load. 150 gr Sierra ProHunter backed with 42 gr IMR 4895. All in my new PPU brass! This round has never failed to produce venison!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 1:36pm
It’s raining here too in the Blue Ridge Mountains of the South East. Sitting out on the cabin porch, nice and dry, listening to the rain on the trees and the rolling thunder.

4895 is certainly a powder that just works in almost every centerfire rifle, although I’ve not actually tried it in the .303. A great powder for reduced loads. I have tested IMR 3031, IMR 4064, Re 15 and Varget. Varget seems to burn a bit cleaner than the others, as I’ve found out in my .30-06 loads. My plan was to find one powder that shot well in all 4 rifles I typically shoot: M1 and 1903-A4gery in .30-06, No. 4 Mk I*/3 in .303 and No. 4 Mk 2 in 7.62. I think Varget may be that powder.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 2:28pm
I'm really getting to like IMR 4895. The granules are way, way shorter than IMR 3031 so they allow me to use my Dillon powder meter to load .303.
Performance is virtually identical as is case filling %.
I tried Varget a couple of times over the years, as many have great success with it but I've never gotten the velocities of 3031 & 4895 with it.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 3:23pm
Agree Shamu. IMR4895 goes thru my old RCBS powder measurer really nice.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 5:33pm
Shamu, I believe the published data for Varget is terribly inconsistent. I loaded to match bullet MPI on the target as setting up the chrono is such a pain at the range I shoot at. I found 40.5 gr Varget is very close to 40.0 gr Re 15 with the 174 gr SMK.

I suspect you will need approx the same weight of Varget as IMR 4895, or slightly more, to match velocities.   Hodgdon lists max charge of Varget in .303 with 174 gr bullet at 42.0 grains, 2509 fps, 43,800 CUP.

I’m loading 40.5 gr. of Varget with 174 gr SMK and getting excellent results in my No. 4.   I estimate velocities are approx 2375 fps with this load based on my chrono results with 41.0 Re 15.

Varget meters a bit better than IMR 4895 and is supposed to be less sensitive to temperature variations.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 8:11pm
we had rain last week - this weekend was perfect - mid to low 70s and low humidity , i got sunburned and am grateful for the opporunity to get it while working at the range 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 3:50am
..it hasn't rained here in 4 week. Sure did Sat nite & Sunday, tho..because I was supposed to golf!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 5:55am
The best I dared reach for with a 150 Gr Hornady was 41.4 Gr for an average of 2492 @ 10' with an SD of 21.2!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 6:31am
There definitely is a different between IMR 4895 and H4895. My Speer loading manual has a maximum IMR 4895 load at 45 grs for 150 gr .303. Hence my load of 42 grs. H4895 has a maximum load at 42 grs for the same bullet. I keep that one at 40.5 grs. Both shoot equally well, and by the book around 2475 fps. I've never crono'ed them though. I believe that both my loads are well within the "safe zone" I desire.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

..it hasn't rained here in 4 week. Sure did Sat nite & Sunday, tho..because I was supposed to golf!!

Speaking of rain..... the ditches are dry here , no rain for a few weeks that was of any use !!!  I want to go cut the pipe line in the back and its supposed to rain today ... should have been out there already , but had to wait for a police officer to come out and talk to me , and then the Wife needs to go to town, so I am now watching the Grand baby !!!  Maybe the weather will hold out so I can go cut the pipe line when she gets back and hopefully I dont sink the tractor and bush hog !!!  I have a rather heavy bush hog !!!  The Polaris Side X Side is way lighter than my tractor and we went drive it last night down the pipe line.....We hit a fallen tree hidden in the weeds and everything we had laying in the console went flying all over .... My phone went missing ... so I got out and went back to the fallen tree looking through weeds that are as tall as me, had Doobie call it and it rang back at the UTV. it had slid over with my shades and was hiding behind them .....  Got lucky on that one !!!  at least I didnt do like I did at Stans while bush hogging his property, I hit an old gate and thought I was getting attacked by ground hornets again , I unconsciously threw my pistol !!!   then realized it a little latter, had to go back and look for it , all the while crossing my fingers that it did not go under the bush hog !!!!  found it and it was OK !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 3:04pm
So which ancient Chinese did you offend so much? You definitely "live in interesting times"!

We had 2 (internal) doors replaced. They MUST be replaced. (They are standard size, but  must be changed to wider ADA wheelchair specs). My wife got a disabled car sticker, but because of lung &  a damaged ankle issues, she's not wheelchair bound, but no matter, citizen, disabled = Wheelchair bound. (even if its deaf or blind)Shocked

Day 2:
One door hung, opens the wrong way & to the wrong side, there are 1/4" gaps everywhere & the door hanger has "ruined 3 doors" installing it because we have standard doors. The other door is a gaping war wound in the building, right down to the concrete.
They're coming back again tomorrow.
No worry it'll match the (perfectly good) thermostat that had to be lowered 15" to comply with ADA. It's so low we can't see the display!
ARGHHHhhhhh!

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 8:16pm
i love dry - let the grass turn brown , seldom happen here , im not thinking my mower has many years left in it , i guess its been serving my father first since 86 and me since 2000 so im not owing it nmuch past a decent burrial but ive gotten used to hating using it , life is good ....
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i love dry - let the grass turn brown , seldom happen here , im not thinking my mower has many years left in it , i guess its been serving my father first since 86 and me since 2000 so im not owing it nmuch past a decent burrial but ive gotten used to hating using it , life is good ....

For some reason my wife took over cutting the grass now, we had bought a zero turn mower, at the time the kids would fight over who is going to cut grass, never seen them rush home from school over anything else.....  then as they got older and moved on it was just me, guess because the mower started acting up with age , each time something would break !!!
Now they are older,and each have their own mowers.....
The wife traded in the old zero turn for a newer one, this one is bigger than the last, and Saturday, she cut the yard, the dog yard, the back pasture, and the middle pasture !!!  the place looks awesome except for the pile of scrap metal I need to take to the scrap yard !!!(Not touching that until it gets cooler !!!) all I need to do now is top the from pasture with the bush hog ... to many hoof divots up there for her zero turn !!!

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 8:47pm
i would love one of those - but im guessing she might claim it till it has an issue - then it will be mine again , now to scrape up the funds , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic