Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me: MLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billtbutcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 9:05pm
Gorgeous! 👍🏿
ashsimmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashsimmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 10:02pm
Hi, I also have the slightly same rifle. Only it was made 1908 at EFD. Then went into New Zealand service, definitely NZ pattern. Various service marks, inspection marks and also rebarrelled and had sights replaced by Lithgow MA and was then reissued. Unfortunately sometime after that it was sporterized sadly but I'm quite keen to restore it. It is a LE I or MLE. It seems this era was very confusing for rifle models. I can show photos if interested.. 
ashsimmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashsimmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 10:05pm
WD was War Department sometimes W^D. Original post. 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 6:08am
ashsimmo, an MLE with a 1908 date is likely to be what was originally supplied to NZ as a barreled action.

I cant confirm this, but I as I understand, barreled actions were still being supplied as late as 1919 to keep the fleet going.
Here is a chronology, off the top of my head.

MLM Mk.I 1889-92
MLM Mk,I* 1892
MLM Mk.II 1892-95
MLM Mk.II* 1895-96
MLE Mk.I 1896-99
MLE Mk.I* 1899-03

LMC Mk.I 1894-96
LEC Mk.I 1895-99
LEC Mk.I* 1899-03

There you go, the entire Metford/Enfield family up to 1903 and the introduction of the Sht.LE Mk.I

However, these dates are never a final cutoff date for production. One will often find an example with a date outside of the known production. This makes us scratch our heads and to try to figure out what is going on.

Here is another rifle complete, but started out as a barreled action made by BSA for Imperial Stores.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic