Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another boring rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 10:05am
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 10:06am
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 1:31pm
Excuse me, I have to go take a cold shower & wash the drool off my face.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 2:16pm
Why do they put the sling on the front and middle swivel? My L39A1 clone as three swivels also.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 12:56am
I put the sling on those 2  (out of 3) swivels for target shooting. That's where I like them.Wink
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 8:18am
It allows sling tension without pulling down on the butt-stock.
If you look at pics of my No4 I use something like a "Ching sliing" which uses 2 loops & all 3 swivels for a similar effect, but retaining the ability to carry slung normally.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 9:03am
Understand now. Thanks.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 1:08pm
Any time.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 10:56am
That's a cracking rifle you've found Stanforth. The metal finish appears better quality than my standard No8 trainer's. That and the fact that you've got the screw cap for the front blades; it's got to be a match version. Although I don't think the rifles were any different in dimension's. There were some trials Match models with longer barrel; but I believe the production No8's were all the same barrel etc. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
What ammunition were you using? I ask because they can vary accuracy quite a lot between ammo brand's. I'm alway's looking to test one I haven't tried yet!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 1:27pm
IIRC one light & the other heavy barrel. The HB was longer I believe.
Nice clickable manual at the link here:
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 2:53pm
Here is my take on it.
There were a number of trial rifles (about 10) with 29 inch barrels they were both the Cadet and Match type.
After that there were match rifles made for military personel to take part in civilian competitions and some sold to civilians. That was followed by thousands of infantry (Cadet) models.
The match rifles had a higher quality finish.

Zed, you are correct about barrel legnths.

As for the ammunition I used, it was CCI Blazers, the cheap ammunition I hold for Club member who don't have ammo and want to borrow a Club rifle. I will let you know how it performs with Eley Tennex.

Up to now the only smallbore shooting has been plinking with my old Winchester and Blazer are quite adequate for that.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 3:06pm
The day after shooting the target (25 yards) at the start of this thread, I tried it at 100 yards at Bisley.
As I was the duty RCO I didn't have much time to mess about with an untried rifle. Just 5 shots.... 2 got me on target followed by 2 bulls eyes and a V bull. Still using CCI Blazers.Cool
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 4:34am
The CCI ammo seems good value; I haven't used it recently but have tested that when I first got my No8's. I'm using Geco semi auto .22 or Winchester T22 in on rifle and Eley Team in the other.
When I tested the Eley Team in the first rifle it was the worst of the 6 types tested; so when I tested the second No8 I almost didn't bother; but I had one target left so decided to finish the box of it's 15 rounds. Ended up with best result for that rifle with a ragged hole from 10 of the shots and the other 5 all nice a close at 50 metres. So now I tend to buy a batch of what's good.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 10:33am
I buy Blazers for one reason only They are cheap. I buy them to keep in stock for members who don't have a .22 and want to borrow a Club Rifle. At the moment we sell them to members at .70p for 10 to keep costs down. It is , however pleasing to know that they do a good job.
CCI Blazer .22 LR 40Gr Ammo

CCI .22 LR Blazer 40GR Ammunition - 0021

Product Code: 076683000217

Price: £3.50
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 10:28pm
i have a good deal of 22cal ammo in my stock - i have lots of 22s , i shoot these in a couple of my rifles and handguns because they seem to like them better than the other brands i have , i do have a number of brands and vintages as well for what thats worth , i have no issues with any of them as long aswhat i shoot them in responds well , 

i even have a couple that seem to like the remington thunderbolt and sub-sonics , as long as theyare accurate i can put up with the misfires on occasion 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 5:45am
I have a 10-22 that absolutely adorers thunderfarts!
People laugh as its about the cheapest you can get but it shoots better with them than anything else I can find.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic