Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G,day from OZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perentie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Perentie,

Before you get too far in this, just get some flat based bullets, say Hornady if you can, (.312")  and try these for a start. 
I had a Long Lee with a worn breech, (bullet slid forward to pretty near the rear sight position before it touched the sides!)   and it still shot Very well for some reason.

Don't panic to start sticking new bits on, just shoot it with a flat based bullet for a start....and do let us know what happens!
It may shoot better with long bullets as well, like the 215gr.

All the best,
Richard.

I dont want to buy a box of Hornadys if they dont work. Also it means working the brass sizing from .315 to .312 all the time.
These are slip fit into a fired case. I would like this to work if possible.
Perentie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perentie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 10:35pm
I cast these .314 and sized to .309 and patched to .315 same as the red ones.
27 grns of 2206 .This group was 7" wide 4" high. I had wiped some alox on the long nose but on getting home and cleaning found a fair bit of lead.
IMG_2276 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 7:26am
I see two obvious issues here. The main one being the chamber out to the rifling. This picture is yours. I enlarged it and found two problems. Look at the rifling. It is almost non-existent where it touches the bullet. Past that,it is too shallow to capture the bullet properly to give the necessary spin to keep the bullet on its intended course.
This is the other problem. Your chamber is eroded enough to cause your cases to round outwards in the shoulder and the necks are expanding outwards as well.
Your barrel is wore out.
Perentie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perentie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 2:14pm
Oh well. That's that then. Its a wall hanger or I will send it down the road.
Thanks all. Its been fun trying to make it go.
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 4:14pm
Replace the barrel?
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 11:59am

One more technique that might be interesting to try is to load the bullets sticking out enough to try and engage the rifling forward of the throat. 

But agreed, the barrel is just about pooched! We know that, but sometimes they can be made to shoot.

If you had the tools, the barrel could be set back a couple of threads and rechambered. That would recover the chamber area, a worn bore can be shot with oversized bullets. I have seen terrible barrels shoot amazingly well, and inversely, nice barrels shoot like crap.

However, with all the effort to set the thing back and rechamber, one might as well find another barrel with a really nice bore on which to base the work.

Like any rifle, if you switch out enough parts, it can be made be good again. 

If mine I really would be considering the idea of a project of a restoration back to its previous reincarnation of a miniature rifle. It's all there except a 22 barrel. If you and I were not on opposite sides of the planet, I'd drop over with half a dozen sported Martinis for you to look at and from which you could choose for a trade.
Some people collect Bonehill converted rifles. Big smile
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 5:54am
If you can find a box of Winchester SP or "silvertip",(180 gr) to try, please do before you give up on it.  
Mine with a worn out barrel would shoot with them when it wouldn't with any handloads I could come up with.

One of mine had no rifling at all left for a few inches and still shot well with these.

Perentie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perentie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

One more technique that might be interesting to try is to load the bullets sticking out enough to try and engage the rifling forward of the throat. 

But agreed, the barrel is just about pooched! We know that, but sometimes they can be made to shoot.

If you had the tools, the barrel could be set back a couple of threads and rechambered. That would recover the chamber area, a worn bore can be shot with oversized bullets. I have seen terrible barrels shoot amazingly well, and inversely, nice barrels shoot like crap.

However, with all the effort to set the thing back and rechamber, one might as well find another barrel with a really nice bore on which to base the work.

Like any rifle, if you switch out enough parts, it can be made be good again. 

If mine I really would be considering the idea of a project of a restoration back to its previous reincarnation of a miniature rifle. It's all there except a 22 barrel. If you and I were not on opposite sides of the planet, I'd drop over with half a dozen sported Martinis for you to look at and from which you could choose for a trade.
Some people collect Bonehill converted rifles. Big smile

See that last photo. I put the casting along side the loaded case to show how far the bullet is in. The paper patch is engraving the rifling, it wont go any further and the base of the bullet is a fraction past the neck into the shoulder. I think its too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic